Charging Stihl batteries from a vehicle

Doug Tait

There is the option of the AL300-4 which can be fitted to the van. Not sure on the connections for it as I haven't seen one as yet. It charges 4 batteries at the same time. It also plugs into the mains.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, gand said:

There is the option of the AL300-4 which can be fitted to the van. Not sure on the connections for it as I haven't seen one as yet. It charges 4 batteries at the same time. It also plugs into the mains.

I'll have a look at those, thanks. 

We used to have an inverter in the truck with a mains charger. Was great on whilst traveling but would flatten the battery if you charged any more than 1 ap300 battery without the truck running. (Eggs split charge and second battery would solve this)

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Will C said:

We used to have an inverter in the truck with a mains charger. Was great on whilst traveling but would flatten the battery if you charged any more than 1 ap300 battery without the truck running. (Eggs split charge and second battery would solve this)

AP 300 is 227wh capacity

Your average second battery would be 1320wh.

However you should only use 50% of that so 660wh.

Even at 100% efficiency thats only 2.9 charges. 

Realistically 2 charges till you need to start the engine to recharge that battery & that charge will take much longer as lead acid bats dont charge as fast.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Peasgood said:

Big solar panel on the roof, small leisure battery if you are short of space and a charge controller plus small inverter.

I have the above on my shed and run a surprising amount off it including a battery charger.

Yep, this time of year I can power everything in my box off solar. For an extra £70 ish throw a split charge relay into a van that is traveling an hour plus each way to site.