Charging Stihl batteries from a vehicle

Doug Tait

At the moment we have a handful of AP200/300 batteries for a small groundsaw, top handles and hedgecutter. The foreman takes any that are low home with him at night to charge up and this works fine for us, but we've some of the new groundsaws (MSA300 i think) on order with appropriate batteries so it seems we'll really need to be able to charge them on site.

All good when doing domestic work where you can ask to plug a charger in, but often that's not a viable option.

Wondering what others do, anyone charging from a vehicle?

9 minutes ago, Doug Tait said:

At the moment we have a handful of AP200/300 batteries for a small groundsaw, top handles and hedgecutter. The foreman takes any that are low home with him at night to charge up and this works fine for us, but we've some of the new groundsaws (MSA300 i think) on order with appropriate batteries so it seems we'll really need to be able to charge them on site.

All good when doing domestic work where you can ask to plug a charger in, but often that's not a viable option.

Wondering what others do, anyone charging from a vehicle?

You are asking to pull the starter battery down Doug, I’d add a leisure battery and a split charge relay, or even one of those small solar panels to leave on the dashboard to keep the leisure battery topped up.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Doug Tait said:

Only thing is space is a premium in the Ranger, it carries everything including Diesel drums for the machines.

I'm picturing the leisure battery size being much like a small car battery, or could we use something smaller?

Most leisure batteries would be bigger than a small car battery, could you not tuck one under a seat, or maybe under slung?

If you search for leisure batteries some of them will state the dimensions.

Unless you drive long distances, it's a no go imo.

Buy more batteries and chargers is the answer.

They either need to go home where someone can tend to them swapping them off fast chargers, or at a yard left in a unit overnight with 1 slow charger per battery. Possibly even a dedicated fire safe container or whatever in case the worse happens O.o

Edited by scbk

2 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

Most leisure batteries would be bigger than a small car battery, could you not tuck one under a seat, or maybe under slung?

If you search for leisure batteries some of them will state the dimensions.

Thanks eggs, I'll have a look.

8 minutes ago, Dan Maynard said:

I seem to remember the vehicle chargers are pretty slow, @Gimlet was asking about this a few months ago.

An inverter could be used so a mains charger could used, but it's a lot of wasted battery power converting 12 volt to 240v to step it back down to run the charger(s).

4 minutes ago, scbk said:

Unless you drive long distances, it's a no go imo.

Buy more batteries and chargers is the answer.

They either need to go home where someone can tend to them swapping them off fast chargers, or at a left in a unit overnight with 1 slow charger per battery. Possibly even a dedicated fire safe container or whatever in case the worse happens O.o

That's a problem, not unusual to travel an hour or more to site but we'd likely be there all day so no good for charging up through the day.

I'm not sure but I imagine the batteries won't last very long once you get stuck into bigger stuff. 

6 minutes ago, Doug Tait said:

That's a problem, not unusual to travel an hour or more to site but we'd likely be there all day so no good for charging up through the day.

I'm not sure but I imagine the batteries won't last very long once you get stuck into bigger stuff. 

With that sort of travel time and a small solar panel, and perhaps a small inverter to run a mains charger something like this should do well for your needs. You just need to find the space now.

4WAYSTRETCH.CO.UK

This for a Durite Split Charge Voltage Sensitive Intelligent Relay 12V 140A 0-727-33 , 110 amp KitThe split charge...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1