How do you empty an IBC cage?

Chalgravesteve

Does anyone use a machine to empty an IBC cage? We have some of our bulk dry wood stock stored in IBC's ready to be bagged up. To get it back out of the IBC by hand is a pain in the @rse, but I am not convinced that the flimsy screws/bolts that secure the cage to the pallet base are anywhere near strong enough to hold the cage and pallet together if I were to strap the IBC to the telehandler pallet tines and tip/shake it out?

I thought I had heard of people using a "rotator" headstock as well, but again I'm of the opinion that the cage if the IBC isn't strong enough to hold its shape and stay fixed to the base when you rotate that weight of wood onto the cage as you turn or tip it?

I suppose we could ratchet strap the cage to the base to reinforce the hold between the two bits, but just wondered if anyone else had any ideas or tried and tested ways of doing it?

We use a box rotator to to empty our potato boxes. That has a fork to the side and on top so the box can't fall.

They're very quick and useful but on smaller machines weigh a lot and push the load out so you need about 2 ton lift for potato boxes like we use.

We bought ours second hand 10 years ago but I think they're 2-4k now.

DSC_6281.JPG

• Like 3

Been using a pallet rotator with IBCs for a few years. Most of them handle it fine just make sure the wooden pallet based ones are in good condition and have slats on the bottom going both ways!

Not mine but you can see one in use here. Ours doesn't have an arm over the top like this and just has a side arm but works fine 

Edited by Woodworks
  • Like 1