Echo 2511tes Vs Stihl 151tc

wjotner

I have the echo 2511 which has be mod by spud and the 2500.

The 2500 is always the go to saw everyday what ever I do. 

Have to say it is brilliant and worth it for the tool clip alone. 

I got mine from chainsawbar.co.uk with the panther bars which really makes a big difference to the saws. 

The only downside is the battery will not last as long as the Stihl 200ap but just take a charger if you need it. 

20 hours ago, Mark_Skyland said:

Do you know anyone with a good running 2511 that you could try a carb swap on? It only takes a few minutes as it must be the easiest saw to change out the carb. 

Not really Mark, but thanks for chiming in.

There might be an issue with the ignition unit, which has already been replaced once.

• Like 1

What are the exact symptoms Mick? Is your machine one of the early ones with the paper stick on serial LABEL (on the black moulding over the top of the recoil cover) or is this laser etched on to the black moulding.

I have come across a fair bit of instability on the early ones and once spent a lost afternoon trying everything to resolve it and I mean "EVERYTHING". 

I didn't find a specific reason but I did develop a very effective cure that always worked for me. 

I also found that many users had pissed around with the carb adjustment and basically thought they were were somehow trying to find the magical setting with no basic carb tuning skills. 

In instances like this, the carb goes straight back to the, slightly strange, factory settings which are 85% of the game of getting these machines running correctly. 

I won't broadcast my fix....I developed it and spent the time to work it out but PM me if you want some help....free of charge!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, spudulike said:

What are the exact symptoms Mick? Is your machine one of the early ones with the paper stick on serial LABEL (on the black moulding over the top of the recoil cover) or is this laser etched on to the black moulding.

I have come across a fair bit of instability on the early ones and once spent a lost afternoon trying everything to resolve it and I mean "EVERYTHING". 

I didn't find a specific reason but I did develop a very effective cure that always worked for me. 

I also found that many users had pissed around with the carb adjustment and basically thought they were were somehow trying to find the magical setting with no basic carb tuning skills. 

In instances like this, the carb goes straight back to the, slightly strange, factory settings which are 85% of the game of getting these machines running correctly. 

I won't broadcast my fix....I developed it and spent the time to work it out but PM me if you want some help....free of charge!

Some days it starts and runs ok, some days it just won’t start.

I’m at the coast at the moment so won’t be back till early next week to check. 
I should really get it going again.

3 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Have you got the "D" shaped carb adjuster as these saws have tamper proof adjusters?

Check the serial No type when home and lets go from there.

15 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Not really Mark, but thanks for chiming in.

There might be an issue with the ignition unit, which has already been replaced once.

No problem. Sounds like Spud has a secret fix :) I've not worked it out yet but I did swap a new carb out on one last week and it made a world of difference. The customer has gone from hating the saw to loving it now, pity the carbs cost a quarter of the price of a new machine though!

I couldn't find anything up with the old carb and I tried a few different tricks but to no avail. The issues was it would run and tick over all day long when kept horizontal but as soon as you hung it from a strop it would splutter and die. If you held it from a strop but also held onto the handle at the same time it was fine. So basically the carb didn't like dancing about, too much fuel is what I thought but I couldn't sort it.

Other thing to check is that the fuel pipe isn't split right at the fuel filter, I've seen that a times.

7 minutes ago, Mark_Skyland said:

No problem. Sounds like Spud has a secret fix :) I've not worked it out yet but I did swap a new carb out on one last week and it made a world of difference. The customer has gone from hating the saw to loving it now, pity the carbs cost a quarter of the price of a new machine though!

I couldn't find anything up with the old carb and I tried a few different tricks but to no avail. The issues was it would run and tick over all day long when kept horizontal but as soon as you hung it from a strop it would splutter and die. If you held it from a strop but also held onto the handle at the same time it was fine. So basically the carb didn't like dancing about, too much fuel is what I thought but I couldn't sort it.

Other thing to check is that the fuel pipe isn't split right at the fuel filter, I've seen that a times.

Yup, that is EXACTLY the fault, on the strop it dies and hold the handle vertically or horizontally, it is fine.

My fix isn't that "conventional" but it works and never fails to make me chuckle as it is like alchemy when done. Don't get me wrong, I am not gloating, I just sorted a simple fix and you obviously know your stuff from your diagnostics....very much my line of thought on this machine.

• Like 1

The Echo 2511 is very impressive little chainsaw that is so light. I have been very impress with it and that's running 3/8P chain on it... In fact I am so impressed with it I find the echo 360 underwhelming in comparison. So I have updated the 360 with a Husky 540 mk2 top handle chainsaw...

On 06/08/2022 at 15:40, Mick Dempsey said:

My simple fix was that it liked starting with the chain brake off, but not when it was engaged.

Not very HSE friendly, but it worked.

I have no idea why, clutch springs were fine.

It became untunable in the end, although as Steve pointed out I’m not an expert carbist!

Mark Skyland swapped the carb out for the second generation one (the saws have a red X on the recoil cover) and it’s been fine ever since.

The air filters get shitty really quickly, they get a lot of compressor time.

One thing we all noticed was that they don’t like E10 fuel.