Echo 2511tes Vs Stihl 151tc

wjotner

I know this topic has been done before. And from what I hear, the echo is the better saw.

So here's my problem. There are no echos of this model in stock anywhere. So what I want to know is if this saw is so much better should I wait a few weeks to get one instead of buying a 151 right now. Is it worth the wait?

11 minutes ago, wjotner said:

Yeah Ive heard it's better with carving bar. But they are a pain in the tits to sharpen those little chains.

It’s a doddle with the Stihl 2 in 1 sharpener mate.

The best combo we have found is the 2511 with the Stihl 150 bar and chain, 1/4” pitch.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

It’s a doddle with the Stihl 2 in 1 sharpener mate.

The best combo we have found is the 2511 with the Stihl 150 bar and chain, 1/4” pitch.

Yeah I have a 2 in 1 sharpener. Loved it for a while, but found it wasn't really getting the chain sharp enough. I'd end up taking the round file out and using on its own to get a better tickle on it.

• Like 1

I've not used the 2511 personally, but from what people say it's a cracking little saw.

I have got on well with all the Echo gear I've used, and my only complaint is that the parts backup has got a long way to go before it catches up with Stihl. This may have improved since I last ordered, but worth taking into consideration anyway.

• Like 1

I have a 2511 and it is a storming little thing. I have handled [but not used] the slightly bigger model, but it has lost the wonderful balance of the 2511 [but can run a longer bar, you cannot have everything]

I would not say that a 2511 was "tempermental" at all, mine is not, neither are my three other echo saws.

People say about "tuning" but you see it all over youtube, muppets with brand new saws messing round with the carb as they obviously think they know better then the makers..Just leave it alone and only put decent fuel in it and you will never have a problem..

I know a problem people DO have with them, i did it myself a few times.. You put the choke on, grab hold of the thing not realising that in grabbing the handle, you have just opened the choke.. Answer, hold it by the side handle when starting it..

I was in a saw place today, south wales. Pretty sure i saw a 2511 in there, might have been mistaken though. I can check tomorrow but i am not sure if they do mail order..

john..

• Thanks 1

2511 on a stihl 10” 1/4 pitch bar and chain is with out a doubt the best climbing saw there is currently and has been in my opinion. 
I would expect a year out of one if used seriously .. but even that would not put me off buying my 4th as power to weight wise and ergonomics you can’t beat it, even a seriously modded 150/151 wont be close performance wise. 
have not picked up a 201 or 540 well maybes on two three occasions since using the 2511 and my modded 150’s have just been back ups.   

• Like 2