Looking for help choosing machine to manage 5 acres (with additional 15 on the way)

Andy_H_VW

4 hours ago, Commando said:

image.thumb.jpeg.7b8730eaf36a2245d6bd9d33c5f28e0d.jpegSomething like this……

Need bloody hard ground to carry that backactor(without getting laired) fitted to an otherwise very desirable loader tractor, much rather have a rougher rubber tracked digger in addition to the tractor loader, which would then be able to pull a trailer.

Edited by difflock
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, difflock said:

Need bloody hard ground to carry that backactor(without getting laired) fitted to an otherwise very desirable loader tractor loader, much rather have a rougher rubber tracked digger in addition to the tractor loader, which would then be able to pull a trailer.

Yep agree, it’s not a replacement for a mini digger and it’s a heavy lump BUT, it can be removed and gives the option albeit limited of digging/grading etc. Also it was free with the machine👍I guess it will depend on what the OP really needs. 

• Like 1

Just don't spend stuff on things you're rarely ever going to use, farming makes the BOAT acronym look tame.

As once you've got the toys you'll then need a shed and the ball keeps rolling, I'm not saying don't, just use common sense and only buy what you can afford outright.

Your first loss is the largest mentality, in my mind I own outright everything and if it failed I can afford to repair or replace it without going into debt.

Edited by GarethM
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, GarethM said:

Just don't spend stuff on things you're rarely ever going to use, farming makes the BOAT acronym look tame.

As once you've got the toys you'll then need a shed and the ball keeps rolling, I'm not saying don't, just use common sense and only buy what you can afford outright.

Your first loss is the largest mentality, in my mind I own outright everything and if it failed I can afford to repair or replace it without going into debt.

Spot on there Garath👍

• 1 month later...
On 03/08/2022 at 15:06, Andy_H_VW said:

Hi There

I recently bought a house with 5 acres (in 3 paddocks),  Theres a lot of hedge row/trees around the sides.  I am in the process of acquiring an additional 15 acres (and whilst I dont need to maintain that as much, i would be thinking about that as well)

I am trying to work out what is the most cost effective route forward, ie do I buy equipment to manage things or pay local farmers etc to help.  At the moment I am leaning towards something like a multi-one with hedge trimmer & flail mower.  Yet that seems a bit overkill.

Can anyone offer any advise please?

Thanks

Andy

If it was me I would probably look for 2 tractors😅  

Something like a Dexta, 35 etc as a little run around for light work, harrowing,  topping, rolling, firewood,  transport box and a little trailer. 

Then a bigger, 4wd with a loader for handling, flail mowing, hedge cutting (although I'd probably still pay someone to do that, not a job I like the look of doing at all, and you need a relatively expensive/complex attachment) and bigger trailer work. 

Something like a Case 956/1056xl or  DB1394. Go for simplicity- mechanical controls, levers nor buttons! 

Somewhere like Cambridge Machinery Sales auction is a great place to go to look at a real variety of tractors in one place.

I definitely wouldn't choose something like a Multione, as great as they are the attachments alone would cost a bomb!

In a similar position to you (though a good bit less acreage) I ended up with an ancient (1970s?), grey import Yanmar YM1600 tractor. It's about 18hp, and more would be nice sometimes, but it's small enough to fit in the garage, sips diesel and is fairly simple if it goes wrong (which it does from time to time). It will carry loads, pull a topper and trailers. Doesn't have hydraulic outputs, but does have a good PTO. It doesn't have the weight for a loader or hedge cutter, but I don't really need either. (Though a loader is tempting...) It also has no safety features at all, and is a bit hairy on slopes - I have several, big steep slopes. Make sure your independent rear wheel brakes work independently, as it's hard to steer with the front wheels off the ground!

If I had more land and a bigger budget, I'd probably have gone for an old International or similar, but it's too much for my needs. More bang for your buck, though, as compact tractors are pricey - you're paying extra for it being "hobby sized" I think. 

• Like 1