Looking for help choosing machine to manage 5 acres (with additional 15 on the way)

Andy_H_VW

Sounds like you are gonna rent 15  extra  and manage 5 acres yourself?

The intended use of the 5 (livestock etc?) and what condition  the hedges are in now will govern the ongoing management & equipment required / methods & if its better getting some contractors?

Have  the hedges   being left to grow wild for  decades atm or have they being managed & trimmed anually?

Let's face it, it might be sensible to pay a contractor to do it, but there's not a man on this forum who wouldn't use the excuse of having that land to buy himself a tractor. In fact, I'd imagine most of us would consider buying the land, just so that we had an excuse to buy ourselves a tractor. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 7

18 hours ago, Haironyourchest said:

Depends on a lot of factors. Type of ground- soft, hard? Topography - hilly? Flat? Mostly mowing or mostly something else?

What are you going to be doing there? What industry and projects do you expect to undertake?

Small old tractor is the go-to machine for most people. 20 acres, maybe a decent quad?

Thanks for reply!

Mostly mowing I would think, but with some tidying of hedges, some post/fencing work

The 5 acres is flat, the 15 quite steep in places (but we may put sheep on that area)

I dont think a quad will do what I am thinking we need, but coudl be wrong

17 hours ago, Conor Wright said:

Hmm, 20 acres is almost proper tractor territory. A compact in the 35 hp+ range with a front loader might be the most versatile for moving things,  mowing, topping, spraying, hedgecutting duties. A company called slanetrac make a hedge cutter to fit most front loaders, a good alternative to other expensive rear mount machines.

The biggest question is if you have the time to manage it yourself? The cost is secondary as there's no point having the kit and not being able use it, likewise its pointless paying someone to do a job if you have the time to watch them do it!

I will have the time I think, dont imagine will carry on the day job as such..

5 hours ago, Stere said:

Sounds like you are gonna rent 15  extra  and manage 5 acres yourself?

The intended use of the 5 (livestock etc?) and what condition  the hedges are in now will govern the ongoing management & equipment required / methods & if its better getting some contractors?

Have  the hedges   being left to grow wild for  decades atm or have they being managed & trimmed anually?

No I will be buying an additional 15.

The 5 acres is suited for horses (and theres an arena as well).  The hedges have historically been well maintained, its only the last 3 years that they havent had any tlc etc.

5 hours ago, Retired Climber said:

Let's face it, it might be sensible to pay a contractor to do it, but there's not a man on this forum who wouldn't use the excuse of having that land to buy himself a tractor. In fact, I'd imagine most of us would consider buying the land, just so that we had an excuse to buy ourselves a tractor. 

Ain’t that the truth! 🤣🤣

9 minutes ago, Andy_H_VW said:

Thanks for reply!

Mostly mowing I would think, but with some tidying of hedges, some post/fencing work

The 5 acres is flat, the 15 quite steep in places (but we may put sheep on that area)

I dont think a quad will do what I am thinking we need, but coudl be wrong

How steep is “quite steep”? And is there a decent run-out at the bottom of the slopes? Could u turn at top and bottom on relatively flat area and go up and down the slope? 

21 minutes ago, Commando said:

How steep is “quite steep”? And is there a decent run-out at the bottom of the slopes? Could u turn at top and bottom on relatively flat area and go up and down the slope? 

The middle of the 15 acres is where it starts to get steeper. It's not that bad, and certainly wouldn't stop a 4x4. Plenty room at top and Bottom where level. 

• Like 1

Personally I’d pay a contractor to do your hedges, it’s peanuts in real terms and they will do a much tidier job than you could.

Definitely buy yourself a tractor of some flavour though - get yourself a copy of ‘Classic Tractor’ and have a look at the sort of stuff they feature. Decide on a size and budget and go shopping, whatever you spend will be tied up in a practically depreciation-proof toy!

• Like 5

As a farmer, I would recommend you pay contractors for the first few years and decide what equipment you need using them as an example.

If you can have sheep grazing, definitely take advantage of free mowing atleast let neighbors make hay.

Start small and build upwards, but you'll probably need a 80hp tractor for rough mowing, anything smaller and you'll have trouble running anything like hedge cutters.

I should also say make sure you have insurance for a small holding.

Edited by GarethM
  • Like 2