Looking for help choosing machine to manage 5 acres (with additional 15 on the way)

Andy_H_VW

Hi There

I recently bought a house with 5 acres (in 3 paddocks),  Theres a lot of hedge row/trees around the sides.  I am in the process of acquiring an additional 15 acres (and whilst I dont need to maintain that as much, i would be thinking about that as well)

I am trying to work out what is the most cost effective route forward, ie do I buy equipment to manage things or pay local farmers etc to help.  At the moment I am leaning towards something like a multi-one with hedge trimmer & flail mower.  Yet that seems a bit overkill.

Can anyone offer any advise please?

Thanks

Andy

Depends on a lot of factors. Type of ground- soft, hard? Topography - hilly? Flat? Mostly mowing or mostly something else?

What are you going to be doing there? What industry and projects do you expect to undertake?

Small old tractor is the go-to machine for most people. 20 acres, maybe a decent quad?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Andy_H_VW said:

Hi There

I recently bought a house with 5 acres (in 3 paddocks),  Theres a lot of hedge row/trees around the sides.  I am in the process of acquiring an additional 15 acres (and whilst I dont need to maintain that as much, i would be thinking about that as well)

I am trying to work out what is the most cost effective route forward, ie do I buy equipment to manage things or pay local farmers etc to help.  At the moment I am leaning towards something like a multi-one with hedge trimmer & flail mower.  Yet that seems a bit overkill.

Can anyone offer any advise please?

Thanks

Andy

What a superb problem to have ! 🙂

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

Hmm, 20 acres is almost proper tractor territory. A compact in the 35 hp+ range with a front loader might be the most versatile for moving things,  mowing, topping, spraying, hedgecutting duties. A company called slanetrac make a hedge cutter to fit most front loaders, a good alternative to other expensive rear mount machines.

The biggest question is if you have the time to manage it yourself? The cost is secondary as there's no point having the kit and not being able use it, likewise its pointless paying someone to do a job if you have the time to watch them do it!

• Like 2

A multi one isn’t a tractor. It’s an overpriced loader for the reason that it can be towed by a car. You’d be best off getting an old and simple second hand tractor with little electronics and by old I mean 90’s. We’ve got a a Massey 3060 which runs like gold towing a 7 tonne timber trailer and running the firewood processor, my dad uses it to manage 25 odd acres of equine daft stuff. A lot less likely to get stolen than a multi one 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Conor Wright said:

Hmm, 20 acres is almost proper tractor territory. A compact in the 35 hp+ range with a front loader might be the most versatile for moving things,  mowing, topping, spraying, hedgecutting duties. A company called slanetrac make a hedge cutter to fit most front loaders, a good alternative to other expensive rear mount machines.

The biggest question is if you have the time to manage it yourself? The cost is secondary as there's no point having the kit and not being able use it, likewise its pointless paying someone to do a job if you have the time to watch them do it!

I’d add to that do you have the skill set to work those machines? Hedge trimming with a tractor aint the easiest job. However, running about on a small tractor with a topper, harrow or roller can be a relatively simple and enjoyable task.

• Like 1

if its fit to mow for either Hay or silo let some take the grass off it for a bit off money and get the hedge cutting in on the deal, then find some one with some sheep and again rent it off for winter grazing, so let some one else do the work and make a few quid out of it as well,

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Commando said:

I’d add to that do you have the skill set to work those machines? Hedge trimming with a tractor aint the easiest job. However, running about on a small tractor with a topper, harrow or roller can be a relatively simple and enjoyable task.

For home use I wouldn't be too worried about it, any machine I had to familiarise myself with was done around home. at least then the **************** ups are your own!

You are right though, hedge cutting isn't a handy days work, especially if you're looking over your shoulder for 10 or 12 hours.

• Like 2

I own similar and I had to pay nearly £1k for hedgecutting this year and that put them on £40/hour. That isn't expensive for a man and hedge cutter, they did a good job and weren't hanging about.

Doesn't take many years before it makes sense to get your own if you have the time to do it, you don't have to do it all at once but theoretically you can't do it before beginning of Sept or after end of Feb.

I have a International 674 which is big enough for a hedge cutter and any other "farm" work, £3k should buy you a very good one but plenty of other similar things out there.

A little old Fergie 35 will do any topping and stuff easily and are much nicer to drive IMO, I use mine a lot.

• Like 3