Can you sharpen GreenMech disc blades?

Clutchy

EVO205D if that makes a difference. 

The shop we have always taken our straight knives to said they can do it, but they are concerned it may cause an issue with the distance to anvil. 

I know on the forst ones we used shims after 1 or 2 sharpens but this would be the first sharpen on these discs. 

Anyone done this or should we just buy new? PFA

products-wood-chipper-disc-blade-to-suit-greenmech-chipper-104-p.jpg

Back some 24 years ago when I had two, my local Ag engineer made a damn good job so he had them all the time! But it does depend on who you have around you, but yes, some folk send them back to us. Full details on how it is done is foc if you want.

• Like 1

Basically when new , the blades are 100mm in diameter and can be ground down until the diameter is 90mm.

If you look at the large face of a new disc blade you will see a 5mm ring around the circumference  , when this is no longer visible the blades are at the end of their life.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Jase hutch said:

Basically when new , the blades are 100mm in diameter and can be ground down until the diameter is 90mm.

If you look at the large face of a new disc blade you will see a 5mm ring around the circumference  , when this is no longer visible the blades are at the end of their life.

Yes I forgot about that telltale.

I also once made the mistake of sending  a machine off a remote job to a non GM  machinery dealer who did have the correct grinder. They swapped out the blunt but never been sharpened  discs and replaced with some that had been sharpened undersized and poorly balanced. The lads complained bitterly that the machine was throwing out slivers.The reason for having to use a dealer to change the blades was that none of our lads on the job had been shown how and  I had witnessed the results of someone changing blades without the competence to do so.

• Like 1