Tree Advice - Buying a House

potterd_

Question

Hello, 

I’m wondering if anybody could provide some advice please. 

I am a first time buyer in the process of purchasing my first home. 

The property has what I believe to be a silver birch tree in the front garden close to the front of the property. 

You can see some light cracking on the driveway however the brickwork shows no signs of any damage. There is no evidence of any movement within the property - no cracks or splits around window seals etc. 

Is anybody able to advise whether they would be concerned?

If no obvious issues are evident at this point, would removing the tree stop the root growth and any potential damage from occurring in the future?

Should we be considering a structural survey or would a tree survey suffice?

Would a tree survey advise on the structural impacts or would it solely be about the condition of the tree? 

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. 

772AA1E3-BD44-40A7-85C9-A08056F97184.thumb.jpeg.c67996871d452b7ae835f37ec3049971.jpeg

C8B06534-3074-44ED-AFCC-2C1E05D20B21.thumb.jpeg.0578f8de219bc92320420b3096728951.jpeg

9 answers to this question

38 minutes ago, potterd_ said:

Would a tree survey advise on the structural impacts or would it solely be about the condition of the tree? 

Dunno but it would make your wallet lighter, most tree consultants are not also structural engineers.

It's a tiny tree, give it some water, it's very unlikely it has damaged the drive  and even if the soil is a highly shrinkable clay it will not have dried out the soil enough to change anything.

Roots do need space to grow and can move soil but don't have enough force to do anything to a well founded drive, they typically may  crack a thin application of asphalt but not often more.

I am no tree expert at all, but i will tell you this;

1, the tree will not have caused any damage.. YET.

2, it will be a different story when the thing is a 100 foot high huge thing though..

3, if then some tree hugging idiot from the council slaps a tree preservation order on it, [which they can and will REGARDLESS of any damage the thing might be causing] you wil be stuck with the thing, THEN you WILL have something to worry about and an unsaleable house.

So, go ahead and buy the house no worries, then same day cut the thing down as it has the POTENTIAL to one day ruin your life and next to bankrupt you..

john..

12 minutes ago, john87 said:

2, it will be a different story when the thing is a 100 foot high huge thing though..

3, if then some tree hugging idiot from the council slaps a tree preservation order on it, [which they can and will REGARDLESS of any damage the thing might be causing] you wil be stuck with the thing, THEN you WILL have something to worry about and an unsaleable house.

So, go ahead and buy the house no worries, then same day cut the thing down as it has the POTENTIAL to one day ruin your life and next to bankrupt you..

john..

It's a silver birch. It'll get to 12" DBH (if it's lucky) and rot enough that he'll have it cut down. Fifteen minute climb. Discount for cash. Or in some desperately unlucky future, it'll get TPOd, get to 12" DBH (if it's lucky) and rot enough that it falls over, in all likelihood doing literally tens of pounds' worth of damage.

OP, I wouldn't be worried. Take Stubby's advice.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, john87 said:

john..

Most people don't see trees until they are looking at buying or have a problem. There are many many bigger trees closer to houses than this which go unnoticed.

There is a risk of the tree falling over and demolishing the house at some future point, but you've got to be proportionate about it. Far higher risks are things like falling over taking the wheelie bins out, car crash, DIY, ladders - and as for motorbikes, well don't get me started.

Enjoy the tree and good luck with everything else in the house.

The tree is so small so not a problem at the moment but in time, it will block out light and fill your house gutters with seeds and leaves and need constant maintenance to keep it off the house.

I have silver birch trees around me and in late summer they drop little seeds that get everywhere, they drop small leaves in the Autumn and drop catkins I think..in the spring. I am forever getting them off the car as they get in to every crevice and even blow in to the house through windows and ventilation ducts etc. They are a pain in my backside TBH, and have to say, I really hate them.

If it was me...get rid before it gives issue costing £££, grind the stump out and put a nice flowering shrub in its place and keep it trimmed to size - viburnum, ceanothus, choisya and Red Robin to name but a few. Just keep it below 6' which is relatively easy and it will give you a bit of privacy. 

• Like 1