Is there any reason for not sharing a vehicle VIN

difflock

Lik a bloke in the club that I dont know has asked for the VIN for the Steyr Puch van, so he can source bits from MB for his modified build, I cant see why not since the VIN  is displayed for all to see on most newer windscreens, so hardly a secret?

Or am I missing sommat?

Thoughts?

25 minutes ago, difflock said:

Lik a bloke in the club that I dont know has asked for the VIN for the Steyr Puch van, so he can source bits from MB for his modified build, I cant see why not since the VIN  is displayed for all to see on most newer windscreens, so hardly a secret?

Or am I missing sommat?

Thoughts?

The cynic in me says its because his modified build has bits from a dodgy vin that cannot be used

• Like 2

3 hours ago, scbk said:

To buy numberplates all you need £10-£15 and whatever reg you want put on them.

Are you sure? 

For years now you need your copy of the V5 plus ID to get a set of plates at your local Factors and places like Halfords. Never tried on-line though. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

im not sure how it works but on an episode of bangers and cash they had an old rusted out complete wreck of a cooper s mini on that was a very rare one (sold for 20k) and Derek the owner of Matthewsons the auctioneers drilled out the rivets on the vin plate and removed it saying that all the unscrupulous  restorers who were viewing the car needed was the vin number to copy the vin plate and re register a shell.

Edited by ChrisNewport

7 hours ago, scbk said:

To buy numberplates all you need £10-£15 and whatever reg you want put on them.

I wanted a new No plate for my trailer and need the V5 of my truck to be able to buy it .

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, ChrisNewport said:

im not sure how it works but on an episode of bangers and cash they had an old rusted out complete wreck of a cooper s mini on that was a very rare one (sold for 20k) and Derek the owner of Matthewsons the auctioneers drilled out the rivets on the vin plate and removed it saying that all the unscrupulous  restorers who were viewing the car needed was the vin number to copy the vin plate and re register a shell.

How can the auctioneers tamper with the car once sold? Surely that nul and voids the sale?

11 hours ago, openspaceman said:

The cynic in me says its because his modified build has bits from a dodgy vin that cannot be used

He appears to be a bonafide long time contributor the the gwagen forum, and is re-engining an older vehicle(a very common occurance) and wishes to access particular MB part nos unique to the very  few RHD turbodiesels, for which I understand, from my dealership experience, you do need to start with the matching VIN?

I am also not unaware that a VERY expensive rebuild of a particular V8 by a reputable bloke, involved replacing the complete chassis, around the cut out and saved VIN from the rotten chassis, on the one hand a complete adminstrative/legal no-no, but imho pragmatically completely kosher.

EDIT:

Spent a while am today checking out "yer man" on the forum, he is imho completely genuine, offering helpful detailed advice on other builds, and also the  "borrowing" of VIN's appears to be a common enough approach, including some very respectable long established  knowledable  blokes.

cheers

Marcus

Edited by difflock

From what I've always been told about old vintage cars, the vin plate was the important part as every other part is completely replaceable.

As in theory you can build a car up from that vin plate, so would make sense to auction just the vin without the rest of the rot box.

I think that's how jaguar, built a limited run of high end 60s cars, they had issued the vin numbers but never built them physically due to some issue at the time.

• Like 1