Echo CS-4310SX

john87

Hi All,

At the moment i am using my Echo CS-352ES. It is 35cc and has a 14" bar. Great saw, but when i went to adjust the chain the other day one of the bar studs started to unscrew out of the body of the thing. No big deal, i simply screwed it back, but i wondered if this is the beginning of the end for my saw [as the bar studs screw into plastic] so i started to look at others i could replace it with if needed.

I was thinking that what i suppose you could call a "pro" saw might be better in the long run.. I want something equally light and handy as my old saw though.

A CS-501SX would be a fair bit heavier as it has an 18" bar and also uses a lot more fuel.

The CS-4310 is only about a pound heavier, uses not much more fuel [even though it has about half as much power again] and i thought would be just the thing??

The things have a 325 chain on them [95 in oregon terms]. Is this an improvement over 3/8 standard or 3/8 lo-pro?? Is there more or less chain choice??

Meanwhile the CS-7310SX is going great!! Just getting run in now i think. It is the first saw i ever used with a full chisel chain on it, and after all i have read i was expecting it to need sharpening every 2 minutes. Up to now i have cut LOADS [perhaps not by you lots standards] and it cuts just great, not had to sharpen it at all yet..

Seems best to stuff the dogs in and then feed it into the cut loading the motor right up. Loads of "grunt" to the thing and it flies through 20" diameter logs.

I bought a chain for it as i have a 20" bar too [not used it yet though] Stihl do not do the right size [3/8 0.58"] so i got a husqvarna C-85. This looks very good chain..

john..

2 hours ago, john87 said:

Hi All,

At the moment i am using my Echo CS-352ES. It is 35cc and has a 14" bar. Great saw, but when i went to adjust the chain the other day one of the bar studs started to unscrew out of the body of the thing. No big deal, i simply screwed it back, but i wondered if this is the beginning of the end for my saw [as the bar studs screw into plastic] so i started to look at others i could replace it with if needed.

I was thinking that what i suppose you could call a "pro" saw might be better in the long run.. I want something equally light and handy as my old saw though.

A CS-501SX would be a fair bit heavier as it has an 18" bar and also uses a lot more fuel.

The CS-4310 is only about a pound heavier, uses not much more fuel [even though it has about half as much power again] and i thought would be just the thing??

The things have a 325 chain on them [95 in oregon terms]. Is this an improvement over 3/8 standard or 3/8 lo-pro?? Is there more or less chain choice??

Meanwhile the CS-7310SX is going great!! Just getting run in now i think. It is the first saw i ever used with a full chisel chain on it, and after all i have read i was expecting it to need sharpening every 2 minutes. Up to now i have cut LOADS [perhaps not by you lots standards] and it cuts just great, not had to sharpen it at all yet..

Seems best to stuff the dogs in and then feed it into the cut loading the motor right up. Loads of "grunt" to the thing and it flies through 20" diameter logs.

I bought a chain for it as i have a 20" bar too [not used it yet though] Stihl do not do the right size [3/8 0.58"] so i got a husqvarna C-85. This looks very good chain..

john..

Full chisel ( as with any chain ) will cut all day as long as you keep it in wood and not dirt , stones etc etc.  Give it a tickle after each fill up , a couple of strokes .  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stubby said:

Full chisel ( as with any chain ) will cut all day as long as you keep it in wood and not dirt , stones etc etc.  Give it a tickle after each fill up , a couple of strokes .  

That is good to hear.. I am VERY particular with what i cut and never go near the ground or cutting mucky wood.

What do you think of full chisel on smaller saws?? From what i have read, you would think not enough power, but personally, i would think full chisel would consume less power [for the same rate of material removal] and be smoother too. Think lathe tools: If instead of having a sharp cornered tool, you had a round nosed one, you would run into chatter problems a LOT sooner.

Only problem with the sharp edged tool is that the corner would tend to break down, so you would grind a small flat, bit like some saw chains have, [Chamfer chisel??]

john..

9 hours ago, john87 said:

That is good to hear.. I am VERY particular with what i cut and never go near the ground or cutting mucky wood.

What do you think of full chisel on smaller saws?? From what i have read, you would think not enough power, but personally, i would think full chisel would consume less power [for the same rate of material removal] and be smoother too. Think lathe tools: If instead of having a sharp cornered tool, you had a round nosed one, you would run into chatter problems a LOT sooner.

Only problem with the sharp edged tool is that the corner would tend to break down, so you would grind a small flat, bit like some saw chains have, [Chamfer chisel??]

john..

I have F/Ch on all my saws . Semi Ch can have its advantages if you are in " dirty wood " situations as you have a larger area of cutting edge so if there is some damage it will go on cutting on the un damaged parts if not so efficiently ( situations like you are racing to keep in front of the harvester on the oversize and no time to sharpen up ) . Full Ch does cut faster . However a dull chain is a dull chain whatever the cutter type .  The next type up from round ground chisel is square ground chisel . A different filing technique and different files . I believe Stihl have a new chain out that sorta mimics square ground but I have not tried it yet . 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...