Chainsaw allowance figures

J Blades

Hi,

Does anyone have any general or specific information/literature on chainsaw allowances or has experience of working within an arb business that offers a chainsaw allowance to its employees and how this was managed.

I'm looking at this for my current employer as they are discussing either giving an allowance for use of personal saw/s (due to several people already using them) or expanding their own loadout (which would be a significant outlay if done properly). I know its unlikely but if anyone has looked into this in depth especially the financial pros and cons this would be most helpful i.e. weekly or monthly amount that could be attributed to suppling a given chainsaw based on power output/bar size or any other notable features (groundsaw/top handle/age etc).

Comments on the possible issues or opinions on what has worked best for their current or previous employers are welcome i.e. Personal saws encourage a higher level of maintenance/allow for customisation or personal saws can cause issues with use (someone who is not the owner blunting the saw/damaging the saw etc).

Obviously this would be a nuanced scenario that relies on flexibility between the employer and employees if it where to go ahead.

Many thanks  

Odd one, never come up before.

I suppose it makes sense for staff to own their own saws as they’ll be more likely to take care of them, especially toppers.

Does the employer buy new chains, pay for repairs?

What if the employee doesn’t have the money to pay for repairs?

Edited by Mick Dempsey

I've worked for firms who did this and did it myself when I had my own business after giving the guys the option, basically they were paid an amount per day to cover average fuel use, maintenance costs and the cost of a new saw over the average lifespan of a saw, if they looked after their kit, which they tend to do when it's their own, they came out on top money wise and they got to choose their own kit as long as it was fit for purpose. One potential pitfall is who covers the cost if it gets stolen from a secured van if you provide the vehicle 

3 hours ago, waz77 said:

as long as it was fit for purpose. 

That was the issue a guy I used to sub to had when he went down the route of trailing this type of thing. He thought people would look after the kit better if it was classed as theirs and received a bit of extra pay. They didn't and just ran substandard machines. I guess from a HS view its not a good idea.

19 minutes ago, Dan Maynard said:

As a subbie I bring my own saws because then I know they're sharp and running well.

The firm's saws tend to be like the old adage - everyone thinks someone should sharpen them, and anyone could have, but in the main nobody does it.

Sounds about right that one, some lads i work with now n then you would think they had been cutting stone flags with there saws,

• Sad 1

I worked for Tilhill (on the books employed) cutting power lines many moons ago and we had a saw allowance - we had to supply a groundsaw and top handle every day and I think we got £10 per day at the time. We provided our own fuel/oil/chains etc. It worked out well for both parties in honesty (teams would unofficially  group together to buy fuel and oil etc). Tilhill and also the client used to regularly audit teams so everything had to be kept in good order (missing decibel stickers would lead to quarantined machines and docked allowance etc). I’d do it again from either an employee or employer side tbh - providing agreeable terms could be drawn up.

8 hours ago, spuddog0507 said:

Sounds about right that one, some lads i work with now n then you would think they had been cutting stone flags with there saws,

I did have the gritted teeth experience of watching our "trained" chainsaw operator catch the asphalt with the point of the bar, while attempting to trim the butt of a tree for Christmas. 

While the idiot chargehand waved and gesticulated, "cut it there", with his unprotected fingers.

Which blunting then necessitated a round trip to the local Stihl dealer, because none of them could sharpen the chain, nor even have the wit to keep a spare, etc etc etc.

And no Council vehicle could apparently go anywhere unless at least carrying a co-pilot.

Also watched another idiot attempting a deepish cut, but round in a circle with a masonary saw.

And he could NOT  comprehend why the saw was fighting him!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, difflock said:

I did have the gritted teeth experience of watching our "trained" chainsaw operator catch the asphalt with the point of the bar, while attempting to trim the butt of a tree for Christmas. 

While the idiot chargehand waved and gesticulated, "cut it there", with his unprotected fingers.

Which blunting then necessitated a round trip to the local Stihl dealer, because none of them could sharpen the chain, nor even have the wit to keep a spare, etc etc etc.

And no Council vehicle could apparently go anywhere unless at least carrying a co-pilot.

Also watched another idiot attempting a deepish cut, but round in a circle with a masonary saw.

And he could NOT  comprehend why the saw was fighting him!

They are the sort of dudes that would try " bump starting " a saw 😁

• Like 1