Keeping them out - While getting them in ??

John Skinner

Very simple fix: pick up a log in each hand and whack em together. The bugs fall off. Then put the two logs in your basket or whatever you carry them to the house in.

Be mindful of bats sleeping between to the logs. I nearly squashed a pippastrell bat last year but noticed it after it started hissing. Brought it to the local bat conversation lady and she sorted it out. No injury, bat's doing fine in a bat sanctuary now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Haironyourchest said:

Be mindful of bats sleeping between to the logs. I nearly squashed a pippastrell bat last year but noticed it after it started hissing. 

I see your bat and raise you a common lizard. We get loads of lizards scuttling around the log piles and one made it in to the pile by the fire. First I knew was a lizard wandering around the living room. Popped safely back outside.

When I eventually get round to making a permanent log store I'd like some way of adding an area things like hibernating butterflies would prefer as I'd rather not bring them into the house as I doubt they survive when put back out. 

I'd also like to add somewhere for birds to nest, we had pied wagtails raise a brood in the log pile next to be the garage this year, thankfully they fledged before the stack fell over.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Haironyourchest said:

Very simple fix: pick up a log in each hand and whack em together. The bugs fall off. Then put the two logs in your basket or whatever you carry them to the house in.

Be mindful of bats sleeping between to the logs. I nearly squashed a pippastrell bat last year but noticed it after it started hissing. Brought it to the local bat conversation lady and she sorted it out. No injury, bat's doing fine in a bat sanctuary now.

Bats!! No one said anything to me about bats. Very cool 🦇👍

TBH i'd rather have bats than earwigs, bugs and spiders 🪳🪲🕷️

43 minutes ago, Retired Climber said:

Because he didn't think it through. Let it go man, you are like a dog with a bone. 😀

No. He did think it through, and was aware of the fact prior to the conversation taking this twist. He just found it amusing. Done 🙂

• Haha 1

Out the log store, into the fire. I reckon on half a dozen logs in the house at a time - enough for 2 fuelings - and reckon most of the bugs will still be snug in the when they go in the fire. Bashing them together helps a bit as does having them in the dry garage over winter.

Did have a dose of woodworm but it is 50-50 with their life cycle whether the logs were the cause. Treated the floors with a borax solution which should help - and this is a tip from somewhere to spray the logs with that, kills the bugs but does make the logs a bit more fireproof

I can live with all the creepy crawlies. Not even that bothered by the wasps as they are extremely docile and sluggish by that time of year. Are they Queen wasps, does anyone know?

What does bother me though is the mess left by rats that we sometimes see. Nest material, food morsels and shit. It's pretty rank. I tend to brush the logs when that happens.