Live Edge Slab - Price

JLA1990

Hi guys,

I’m planning on building a large wall unit and would like to incorporate a live edge slab as the worktop. Approx. Measurements 14ft x 1.5ft x 2/3” thick (live edge only needed on one long side the rest cut square). Beech, elm or oak would be my preferred choices, any one with an idea of costs or can point me in the direction of a supplier (happy to collect) 

Cheltenham, Gloucestershire based

cheers, 

Edited by JLA1990

3 minutes ago, JLA1990 said:

Hi guys,

I’m planning on building a large wall unit and would like to incorporate a live edge slab as the worktop. Approx. Measurements 14ft x 1.5ft x 2/3” thick (live edge only needed on one long side the rest cut square). Beech, elm or oak would be my preferred choices, any one with an idea of costs or can point me in the direction of a supplier (happy to collect) 

cheers, 

You location would help.....

Fully seasoned Id expect to pay a minimum of £100 a cubic foot. So at least £200 if 2" thick although personally I'd not sell that cheap. You'll most likely have to pay for the other live edge you or the sawmill will cut off so expect to pay about another 1/4 to 1/3rd more than this.

If it was me selling a 4.2m Oak or Elm Slab thats a minimum of 600mm wide (before cutting to your chosen width) and 2" thick Id want and would not sell for less than £500, and I think thats cheap. 

On 20/07/2022 at 23:30, trigger_andy said:

You location would help.....

Fully seasoned Id expect to pay a minimum of £100 a cubic foot. So at least £200 if 2" thick although personally I'd not sell that cheap. You'll most likely have to pay for the other live edge you or the sawmill will cut off so expect to pay about another 1/4 to 1/3rd more than this.

If it was me selling a 4.2m Oak or Elm Slab thats a minimum of 600mm wide (before cutting to your chosen width) and 2" thick Id want and would not sell for less than £500, and I think thats cheap. 

cheers Andy,

a couple of people have messaged offering some slabs, I’ll see what’s on offer! That’s where my head was in regards to value. 

• Like 1

Don't usually get big slabs that long as I rarely mill onsite and have to be able get the log home but I did have some 4 meter by 500mm ash slabs 60mm thick which I sold for 350 each unseasoned. They didn't have much character so I was happy with the price. A real nice, ready to use log would (should) be more.

• Like 2