Value of spalted beech cord

DWALLA

22 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

what leads you to that conclusion other than the pictures we're seeing? As the pictures we're seeing certainly do not show any spalting. They look kinda like these logs I clogged up and they are certainly not Spalted. 

A3AAAC97-07E5-4A52-AEC3-C4268722796A.png

618CCDDA-BAB3-4C77-8ECF-0B1BB4FEC407.png

1DE05E41-C2E8-4BA6-BD42-CE223968D178.png

Hi Andy, this timber is from the base/hinge. I’d say that’s spalted?? 752699C5-7C33-479F-A3B0-5B0563657E34.thumb.jpeg.86274d5139da92a8bb9d18252e0401b2.jpeg

• Like 3

On 21/07/2022 at 18:13, DWALLA said:

Thanks everyone for your inputs, all greatly appreciated. I have had an offer of £200 for the beech. It’s definitely spalted, and on the good side of bad so to speak. That’s the reason I removed it for a local city council. I’ll hold on to it for a while and accumulate so other bits and hopefully move the lot in one go. Thanks again for everyone’s advice. 

If i got a offer of £200 for 3 logs like them, i would rip there hand off and have them loaded and delivered, before they had a chance to change there mind, they are not good or nice logs at all, if they was on a job of ours they would be stacked in the firewood stack, £200 is very very good money for them !!

• Like 5

On 21/07/2022 at 12:54, MattyF said:

I sold this whole log Dan for £350 … wasn’t really worth the time in milling and 4 years drying, started at £600 after a month I just put a buy it now for that as I needed it gone. 

9C93E031-C992-4150-9DD7-54A7EE2814D2.jpeg

EF0459A3-7D27-433B-B97D-685286B56506.jpeg

Yeah I get it, finding someone to actually buy the planks does seem to be the hardest bit, I see people on FB marketplace with loads of stuff up but I just don't have the energy or enthusiasm to do it. OP seems to have found someone to buy for £200, good luck to him.

I've pretty much settled on the idea now that I only mill stuff when I want the planks myself. That way I am avoiding giving real money to someone else so there is a definite benefit to me in doing it. Otherwise it's too much time, I'm better off doing more trees than milling so ring up and firewood or get people to collect. I reckon if people can pick up the pieces of wood then it goes so worth cutting down.

I chogged down a 25ft tall, 3ft dia beech stem earlier this year which was some decayed and some spalted,  was next to a road but to mill I'd have had to hire in some kind of HIAB because of fences power lines etc. Anyway, I cut each ring into 8 chunks and told passers by it was free, people were loading it into their cars, one bloke had a couple on the passenger seat. But almost all the timber was out of the way by the time we left site, instead of 3 or 4 ton to get rid of just had a couple of rings for firewood myself on top of the trailer of sawdust, site done and dusted in one load, happy days.

Could have sold it in theory, in practice happy to see it gone and on to the next job.

• Like 4

There is a fine line between Spalted and Rotten ,but as someone said not much public interest in Spalted Beech at the mo 8/10yrs ago it was in demand not so much now ,I think its cool a booked matched pair of boards make stunning tables and with the Lacqures and Resins around then keeping a table top nice is easy done ,I have a fair bit of 7/8yrs air dry Spalted Beech if anyone wants any also have Spalted Apple ,and Holly