Value of spalted beech cord

DWALLA

4 hours ago, Dan Maynard said:

Quote from Andy on thread about live edge boards yesterday

"Fully seasoned Id expect to pay a minimum of £100 a cubic foot."

Biggest logs are 2' across so a 3" plank would be 3 cubic feet.

Point is though they aren't worth anything at all unless you can find someone to buy them.

Likewise the logs, put them on FB and see if you get any interest. If you get £200 for somebody who picks them up then good luck you're having, no work and £200 in your pocket. It's never going to be economic to transport them to a sawmill, there's not enough wood to make transport viable, they are too short, and beech isn't desirable, but that's where I started.

That was for Oak and Elm. I mentioned that further down. I did not include beech in that. 

I also said in this thread that I’ve been making firewood out of very similar Beech logs. I’d not do that with Oak or Elm.

Edited by trigger_andy

4 hours ago, Dan Maynard said:

Not necessarily, no work, space in the yard back, and £200 in his pocket he's better off.

All depends what the replacement cost of a load of rings of arb waste would be, that might be £0 - it would be to me because I never buy wood.

But the Op does produce firewood…..

My moneys on he rings it for firewood. ;)

if you have a saw that'll run a mill, then buy a cheap mill and a lowpro bar

i save what i can from the firewood pile

only way to make it worthwhile saving bits from the firewood pile is by milling them yourself as you won't get much selling the odd bit here and there you save, unfortunately 

1 hour ago, Stihl123 said:

if you have a saw that'll run a mill, then buy a cheap mill and a lowpro bar

i save what i can from the firewood pile

only way to make it worthwhile saving bits from the firewood pile is by milling them yourself as you won't get much selling the odd bit here and there you save, unfortunately 

And Beech like in the pic will be quite nice when milled as well. A lot more interesting than regular Beech. I made my 4 meter long Workbench out of Beech and that had similar colouring. Worth saving if you're interesting in milling but with so much of it down just now and little public interest I dont waste time on it when I could be milling Oak or Elm. 

326D895C-8FFE-4C56-880E-0665A6229F15.jpeg

4B25FA8A-8FEE-4EF4-B373-52F4AFF5B43B.jpeg

1234FC23-2D23-4E4F-AE4E-D1E21A7BADFE.jpeg

Edited by trigger_andy
  • Like 7

Thanks everyone for your inputs, all greatly appreciated. I have had an offer of £200 for the beech. It’s definitely spalted, and on the good side of bad so to speak. That’s the reason I removed it for a local city council. I’ll hold on to it for a while and accumulate so other bits and hopefully move the lot in one go. Thanks again for everyone’s advice. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, DWALLA said:

Thanks everyone for your inputs, all greatly appreciated. I have had an offer of £200 for the beech. It’s definitely spalted, and on the good side of bad so to speak. That’s the reason I removed it for a local city council. I’ll hold on to it for a while and accumulate so other bits and hopefully move the lot in one go. Thanks again for everyone’s advice. 

I would say that its not really spalted just the natural heartwood figure . Stand the sticks up on end some damp ground for a year or two then it might spalt .

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MattyF said:

I sold this whole log Dan for £350 … wasn’t really worth the time in milling and 4 years drying, started at £600 after a month I just put a buy it now for that as I needed it gone. 

9C93E031-C992-4150-9DD7-54A7EE2814D2.jpeg

EF0459A3-7D27-433B-B97D-685286B56506.jpeg

Nice boards! I've wondered for a while, is it chalk or crayons people are using to mark up the dimensions on their boards? 

46 minutes ago, DWALLA said:

It’s definitely spalted, and on the good side of bad so to speak.

what leads you to that conclusion other than the pictures we're seeing? As the pictures we're seeing certainly do not show any spalting. They look kinda like these logs I clogged up and they are certainly not Spalted. 

A3AAAC97-07E5-4A52-AEC3-C4268722796A.png

618CCDDA-BAB3-4C77-8ECF-0B1BB4FEC407.png

1DE05E41-C2E8-4BA6-BD42-CE223968D178.png

Edited by trigger_andy
  • Like 1