Finally got the firewood situation sorted (Nairn area)

John Skinner

Finally managed to get my firewood situation sorted; Woohoo 🥳 Found a local supplier in the local Nairn area doing hardwood logs at £70 per cubic bag, delivered. That's a nice saving from the £98/£120 per cube quoted by others locally. Six cube ordered and more to come. Got to fill that woodshed 👍

I don't have all the OP details, as the lads still on holiday. But if there's anyone else around the local area that is looking for hardwood and wants more info, message me directly.

8 minutes ago, Dan Maynard said:

Are they "ton bags" which can be 90cm x 90cm x 90cm. This is only 0.73m3 so then your £70 per bag is right back on the money at £96 per cube.

Yes, it was ton bags that was discussed; but I'll check this again. As i said the lad is on holiday so i've not gone into great details yet. Will do once he's back next week and will update. It was discussed in comparison to another place, also doing ton bags, but 'at distance' and required collection in person.

The alternative option, which was at distance and had to be collected (additional cost) was loose ton cubes. So that's the comparison we discussed, briefly, so far. I'll be speaking to the lad when he's back from holiday and will make sure we're all on the same page; but tbh, i think we already are.

6 hours ago, John Skinner said:

Finally managed to get my firewood situation sorted; Woohoo 🥳 Found a local supplier in the local Nairn area doing hardwood logs at £70 per cubic bag, delivered. That's a nice saving from the £98/£120 per cube quoted by others locally. Six cube ordered and more to come. Got to fill that woodshed 👍

I don't have all the OP details, as the lads still on holiday. But if there's anyone else around the local area that is looking for hardwood and wants more info, message me directly.

Hi John 

No shortage of good hard and soft wind blown up around Aberdeenshire right now. Do you process your own ??. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Johnsond said:

Hi John 

No shortage of good hard and soft wind blown up around Aberdeenshire right now. Do you process your own ??. 

Im getting Hardwood Beech firewood logs at £45 a ton just now. All Windblown. Not sure how many 1m3 bags that lose fills but I think its not far off of 3. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Johnsond said:

Hi John 

Aye there are certainly loads of windblown trees around. Just a shame i can't get near them, or move them even if i could get near them. If i could i'd happily turn them into movable blocks or logs.

* Have saw - Will cut !!

46 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Im getting Hardwood Beech firewood logs at £45 a ton just now. All Windblown. Not sure how many 1m3 bags that lose fills but I think its not far off of 3. 

There are a few places over this way and west offering hard and softwood at good prices. Problem is ... they are all at a distance from me (self collect only), which would then require me to get a driver, jeep and trailer (or whatever). By the time i did that i'm as well paying local delivery rates.

Never thought it would be easier to collect pallets than wood. Especially as this entire area is surrounded on all sides (other than the sea) by trees 😂

11 minutes ago, John Skinner said:

Aye there are certainly loads of windblown trees around. Just a shame i can't get near them, or move them even if i could get near them. If i could i'd happily turn them into movable blocks or logs.

* Have saw - Will cut !!

Those wind blown trees will belong to someone . The reason they are still there , as you have pointed out , is that extraction is un economic .

Edited by Stubby