Cutting grass on 45 degree bankings, options?

drinksloe

19 minutes ago, scbk said:

I've used ice crampon things on my boots before to strim steep banks. It's a horrible job though, so easy to injure yourself. It's one thing to get paid for doing it, but if it was your own land find another way round it. Small livestock, or a robotic mower, some of the husqvarna automowers will cut steep banks.

Inverness castle banks and the river banks are very steep and full of rabbit holes

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@57.4757904,-4.2263103,3a,75y,28.76h,103.56t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sZEbaFIo63Ny0GDbrVeVt2A!2e0!5s20220301T000000!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en-GB

They used to be done by a flymo on a rope, but I think there was an accident. I think it would be hard going on your back too. The last I heard they were going to buy a remote control mower. I think they've had a few different machines, probably on various long term lease arrangements that keeps a salesman in a job 

https://www.pitchcare.com/news-media/plan-to-save-cash-with-40-000-remote-control-mower-at-inverness-castle.html

The automowers only do 35 degrees and like a pretty smooth surface, might not be up to the job

Cracking value for money, even delivered with the duties it's around £1.5k.

Not sure how badly the tracks would damage the grass. What about a electric Flymo on a rope instead of 2 stroke, you can atleast collect the grass clippings.

38 minutes ago, scbk said:

I did see this recently, bargain :vollkommenauf:

(don't know why aliexpress links show on here in a funny language)

I tell u wot that is cheap, i would be worried too cheap u pay some serious money for more well known brands.

Aye originally planned an electric on a rope but i'm worried it might not have the grunt and i'm really wanting a mulching mower so i don't pick up any grass. Job will be bad enough without mower geting heavier and then having to empty it.

Plus the banking could do wi getting some mulch on it to form a bit of soil really.

They're not dear so dunno to have a punt and if i get a few years out of it and then see wot happens

But ur looking around 500 squid for a new 2 stroke hover mower and u still have all the hassle of dangling it off a bit of rope. I can imagine any novelty will wear of pretty quickly.

Thinking about the logistics of swinging a lawnmower on a rope for potentially hours at a time, i casn see u having forearms like popeye or just sore arms and a bugered back,

i did think about buying a cheap body harness thingy and attach the rope with a prussick to chest loop ( or if i got really fancy a VT system) so harness is hold the pressure and i could just take in or let out rope as i needed.

Was just a bit of a hair brained idea dunno if it would actually work or not?

28 minutes ago, GarethM said:

Cracking value for money, even delivered with the duties it's around £1.5k.

Not sure how badly the tracks would damage the grass. What about a electric Flymo on a rope instead of 2 stroke, you can atleast collect the grass clippings.

I would want to buy this one purely for the video on the listing, the guy is hanging off an overhead crane, chinese narration, and a weird eminem asian dance remix in the background :rock:

Seems to me one problem with the mover is steering it, another is holding the weight back. I haven't tried this but I was thinking maybe get a scaffold pole along the top of the slope, then have one rope with a prussic to take the weight. Stand a little bit to the side with a second rope to the mower and you can pull it in an arc, then lower prussic 2 foot, cut another arc etc. You could cut a swathe on the way down, then pull it back up and slide along the scaffold pole to next swathe.

Maybe a hassle but you wouldn't be holding the weight of the mower all the time, and you can't drop the running mower down the slope which would seem to be a safety improvement.

11 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

I’m not a hippy, but can’t you just cut a neat strip at the top, bottom and maybe sides to show it’s ‘kept’, and let the rest go a bit crazy?

I've got several steeply banked areas that I try to keep neat and I've found that holding a strimmer at 45 degrees is really hard on the wrists and swinging a flymo on a rope isn't great either...  so you're suggested solution is also mine.. it can look very good at certain times of year particularly if different wild flowers come up in it as they come into season👍

And to @Drinksloe, if you're determined to keep it cut could a scythe blade mounted on a long pole be a low tech alternative ?

• Like 1