Full face or dust mask when milling?

drinksloe

2 hours ago, gobbypunk said:

I have a Trend Airshield Pro for Milling ,sanding etc they are expensive but totally worth every penny and the after sales from Trend is totally ace ,no fumes ,dust or bits in the eyes whats not to like .

I guess I came across quite a few buyers,  two that were involved in the milling died from throat cancer, my felling partner is in remission from nasal cancer which his surgeon said was likely caused by 2t emissions.

Till then I thought the risk was only from sanding exotic timbers.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Conor Wright said:

Somethings gotta kill ya,

re alaskan milling, I just take a deep breath squint and push. 

I did get a dust extractor for the shed, I find the woodmizer and circular saws the worst. No real need for a mask then.

Ive a good extractor for the workshop and a dual bagger 3ph unit for when I start log molding for my Cabin. 

26 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

I guess I came across quite a few buyers,  two that were involved in the milling died from throat cancer, my felling partner is in remission from nasal cancer which his surgeon said was likely caused by 2t emissions.

Till then I thought the risk was only from sanding exotic timbers.

Either of them smokers? 

1 minute ago, trigger_andy said:

Ive a good extractor for the workshop and a dual bagger 3ph unit for when I start log molding for my Cabin. 

Mines only a single bag which does fill up a bit fast but as luck would have it the bags I get my bareroot hedging in fit it perfectly.

There's a local crusty hippie that gives me a fiver a bag for planer shavings for her chickens. We use some ourselves and the odd sheep farmer buys a ton bag for lambs

When you going at the cabin? 

3 minutes ago, Conor Wright said:

Mines only a single bag which does fill up a bit fast but as luck would have it the bags I get my bareroot hedging in fit it perfectly.

There's a local crusty hippie that gives me a fiver a bag for planer shavings for her chickens. We use some ourselves and the odd sheep farmer buys a ton bag for lambs

When you going at the cabin? 

I was thinking of filling ton bags. How much do you charge for them?

I had really hoped to get on with the Cabin this summer but just no time for it just now. Been concentrating on other outdoor projects plus firewood production. Then the missus wanted a kitchen island and a breakfast bar last time I was home.

Had my building warrant approved today for removing an internal structural wall between the kitchen and dining room so that will be on the cards soon. Then its a new kitchen to install. Never ends. :D 

I've a few new parts for the Logosol that I need to mill the beams so I think I'll make a start on molding them in September on rainy days. Ive 5 Sitka Trees to remove from the Cabin site, then I need to get a man in with a monster Stump Grinder to grind out all the stumps that where there. Then its prep for a cement pad, drainage, services etc. 

Ive 60 x 6" Beams drying though and the more dry they get stickered the less settling I'll have to deal with when I build the cabin. Silver linings and all that. :D 

Andy its the very fine dust you cant see that is the worst ,the big sawmill that was just up the road from me closed as the matey got real bad COPD from the milling sawdust better to be safe than sorry ,and having lived with quite  Asthma all my life its no fun ,even the sawdust from sweeping up after a milling afternoon can do you in Yew is poisonous  lost count of the times in A and E with sawdust and bits in my eyes when chainsaw carving so Full Face Helmut gets my vote every time 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

I was thinking of filling ton bags. How much do you charge for them?

I had really hoped to get on with the Cabin this summer but just no time for it just now. Been concentrating on other outdoor projects plus firewood production. Then the missus wanted a kitchen island and a breakfast bar last time I was home.

Had my building warrant approved today for removing an internal structural wall between the kitchen and dining room so that will be on the cards soon. Then its a new kitchen to install. Never ends. :D 

I've a few new parts for the Logosol that I need to mill the beams so I think I'll make a start on molding them in September on rainy days. Ive 5 Sitka Trees to remove from the Cabin site, then I need to get a man in with a monster Stump Grinder to grind out all the stumps that where there. Then its prep for a cement pad, drainage, services etc. 

Ive 60 x 6" Beams drying though and the more dry they get stickered the less settling I'll have to deal with when I build the cabin. Silver linings and all that. :D 

25 quid for the shavings collected or two delivered locally for 75 (euro) it's not exactly a money maker but it beats throwing it on the compost heap.

Sounds like you've got a few irons in the fire there! Looking forward to seeing your progress, I started a "self build" thread a week or two back. Sounds like you'll have a few bits to add to it soon. So will I hopefully.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gobbypunk said:

Andy its the very fine dust you cant see that is the worst ,the big sawmill that was just up the road from me closed as the matey got real bad COPD from the milling sawdust better to be safe than sorry ,and having lived with quite  Asthma all my life its no fun ,even the sawdust from sweeping up after a milling afternoon can do you in Yew is poisonous  lost count of the times in A and E with sawdust and bits in my eyes when chainsaw carving so Full Face Helmut gets my vote every time 

I do get what you’re saying but a big sawmill sounds like an enclosed set-up and not outside in the fresh air. 

Each to their own but it’s not for me.