Full face or dust mask when milling?

drinksloe

Alright

Just wondering of the more experienced boys who do a lot of milling.

Do u use either a full face mask or just a dust mask when milling esp if having a big day at it?

Been doing a bit of googling, watching clips and reading throu old threads on here about milling and any tips etc, seen 1 boy's video and he recommended a full face mask thing A to stop the fine dust etc but also he said helps with fumes from the saw/2 stroke.

The rest of his clips seemed quite good but i tend to be a bit wary of watching/believing some internet clips, there's a lot of heroes out there that shouldnae be let lose with nail scisscors never mind a chainsaw and video camera

Been doing a wee bit last day or 2 and normally the 2 stroke fumes in general forestry work never really bother me.

But i must admit today i had that finer saw dust everywhere and sweating like a pig too and must have been getting to a lower hieght down the trunk so bending over a bit and was noticing the 2 stroke more than usual.

Do any of u use a mask or mask and visor combo?

Must admit not sure hom the googles would get on in tat heat today, but thats not the norm really.

Cheers

I assume you’re talking Alaskan Milling and not Bandsaw Milling?

If Alaskan Milling I’m sure some will pipe up with “buy Aspen”.  It’s certainly an option but it’s eye wateringly expensive. Perhaps it’s a price worth paying for your health though? I’m not away to make the change though. 

I know it’s not great inhaling sawdust, some species are worse than others. Alaskan Milling should not really be producing saw dust or more accurately saw chips that fine. If you are then it’s time to sharpen the chain. Band Milling certainly produces fine sawdust though. 

But in all honesty I don’t wear a mask when milling with either the Alaskan or the Logosol and don’t intend to start either. 🤣

• Like 3

3 hours ago, drinksloe said:

Alright

Just wondering of the more experienced boys who do a lot of milling.

Do u use either a full face mask or just a dust mask when milling esp if having a big day at it?

Been doing a bit of googling, watching clips and reading throu old threads on here about milling and any tips etc, seen 1 boy's video and he recommended a full face mask thing A to stop the fine dust etc but also he said helps with fumes from the saw/2 stroke.

The rest of his clips seemed quite good but i tend to be a bit wary of watching/believing some internet clips, there's a lot of heroes out there that shouldnae be let lose with nail scisscors never mind a chainsaw and video camera

Been doing a wee bit last day or 2 and normally the 2 stroke fumes in general forestry work never really bother me.

But i must admit today i had that finer saw dust everywhere and sweating like a pig too and must have been getting to a lower hieght down the trunk so bending over a bit and was noticing the 2 stroke more than usual.

Do any of u use a mask or mask and visor combo?

Must admit not sure hom the googles would get on in tat heat today, but thats not the norm really.

Cheers

Aye, I appreciate that if the wood was very dry you might get a bit of dusting and particulates... if you're getting any dust then you should protect yourself... but mostly I just get chip which I spray onto a tarp and once dry I smoulder it in a bucket to repel the feckin midgie's..  but I'm no expert either 👍

• Haha 1

Cheers folks

Aye just alaskan milling, to be fair i've never got round to buying a ripping chain yet, always mean to but never did and not done an awful lot yet) and the wood is quite dry.

sAW FEELS SHARP ENOUGH ALTHOU I THINK RAKERS COULD DO WITH DOWN A TOUCH NORE ( bloody caps lock!!! Grrr)

Aye esp on here u read about lads switching to aspen but be an expensive day milling with a 660 on aspen, usually it doesnae bother me at all but must off been standing in a bad spot and no breeze which is unusual u here.

So basically a suck it and see.

Cheers

• Like 1

I think milling is about the worst possible activity for exhaust fumes, you take the biggest saw and run it flat out pointing down at the ground right by where you are kneeling.

I have always set my mill so that fuel fillers are up, was just pondering a new product of "milling exhaust" where the outlet is left of centre rather than off to right like normal. Then the exhaust would all blow out over the log.

Surely someone has thought of that before?

I try my best to set up with wind at my back if possible. Woodland mills are  set up well in as  much as you ain’t on the same side as the discharge when operating the mill,  there’s a few bigger manufacturers could learn a thing or two from that. I do carry a mask but only wear it at an absolute push. 

4 hours ago, Johnsond said:

I try my best to set up with wind at my back if possible. Woodland mills are  set up well in as  much as you ain’t on the same side as the discharge when operating the mill,  there’s a few bigger manufacturers could learn a thing or two from that. I do carry a mask but only wear it at an absolute push. 

Chin hammock or dirty face nappy? 😉

25 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

I always use a ffp2-3 dust mask when milling (bandsaw) and firewood processing.

You only have one pair of lungs so look after them.  My mrs worked on a respiratory ward for a bit and its an ugly way to go! 

And how many of her respiratory patients where in with sawdust related illnesses? 

I understand its a far more serious issue for Chippies working in an enclosed environment and dealing with the fine particulates sanding and planing generates but just dont see bandsaw sawdust being that much of an issue outside in the fresh air. 

I guess we can come back to this in 30 years time and see. :D

Edited by trigger_andy
  • Like 1