First course. First harness. Tree climbing advice for an older newbie.

Devilgate

Hi All - I’m looking for an introductory tree surgeon\safety course for tree climbing near to London, or if it was a weekend or two, around Shropshire region could also be an option. Wouldn’t mind some advice on a decent harness/rigging too. I’ve been considering a Petzl Sequoia and Petzl Zig Zag, but wondered if I would notice any difference opting for a cheaper Treehog harness/climbing kit. I usually steer clear of Chinese/copies when it comes to tools. My instinct is to get professional quality equipment now and I won’t ever need to get another. (buy once - cry once).

I’m described as a fit 52yrs, med height and stocky build. Previously my only tree climbing has been, pruning dead wood from our oak and lime, using ladders and rope prusics and a fall arrest harnesses for safety. Being a signwriter many years ago, I am used to working at heights. Scaling ladders and walking out on planks (which is probably illegal now!) I’d like to learn the safe way of scaling a tree and moving across branches.

The reason: We are moving to rural France and will need to manage a small forest on our property.

Be as harsh as you want with your advice guys and gals. Let’er rip. I can take it.

I would do the chainsaw tickets (felling and crosscutting) and spend the money on good chainsaw boots and trousers. To manage your own woodland you probably won't need to climb. Doing the medium tree felling course would also be more worthwhile than climbing.

Climbing is really expensive, you're some thousands in for the courses and gear. Rather than set off to France and and climb stuff on your own with no experience, hire somebody on the very rare occasions it really is necessary. Otherwise fell, winch, bring stuff down to the ground. Safer, quicker, easier. Get a small tractor, see what you need when you get there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1