Do Not send your lads out Monday and Tuesday.

Gardenscape

9 hours ago, Joe Newton said:

Fair point Ian, I'm not thinking like an employer. One company I work for will designate a saw user on hot days and the draggers can wear shorts. The saw guy can swap with another if they want. 

Exactly what we are doing today. I am taking chainsaw trousers and normal trousers. I will do the little bit of chainsawing needed, then get out of the chainsaw trousers. The pull ropes for two straight fells will be installed with the rods, or a climber in shorts! Also a short day and knock off.

Personally I'll be putting in around 60% effort today and having ice lollies for lunch. 

Anyway, now that it's been decided that really manly men can easily work away in 40° heat, and everyone else is a big girl's blouse, I wonder what will happen next year when we get to 41°, or the year after that...

How hot is too hot, for all the rugged, masculine types out there? Mid-60s?

PPE, so the sun stops accidents?

(every requirement comes off the back of a serious accident or death)

Heat stroke, many on here are working in Britain whose workers will have just sat in the gardens all weekend burning themselves and getting a bit dehydrated. 10:00 now so perhaps a bit late with this comment, but if they are starting work in the hear a little dehydrated it will only get worse. In countries used to this heat they don't have the mad sun-is-out-fry attitude, and will often drink more through the day. Nothing wrong with the heat as such, but in the UK we do make it worse than it has to be. Obviously not everyone will have been in the garden all weekend.

1 hour ago, peds said:

Personally I'll be putting in around 60% effort today and having ice lollies for lunch. 

Anyway, now that it's been decided that really manly men can easily work away in 40° heat, and everyone else is a big girl's blouse, I wonder what will happen next year when we get to 41°, or the year after that...

How hot is too hot, for all the rugged, masculine types out there? Mid-60s?

Those manly men forgot to call the rest of us woke snowflakes.

Very simple solution to this problem: water, and lots of it. Ware a synthetic top, Lycra - white if possible - and soak your top half at regular intervals. Evaporative cooling.

Also add electrolyte to your drinking water and keep drinking.

Maybe invest in cheap camelbacks so you don't forget to drink 

Forget the suntan lotion. Ware wide brimmed hats instead, or neck flaps taped onto helmets. Or even cardboard wide brims attached to the helmets. It's all about keeping the solar radiation off the body.

10 hours ago, Sviatoslav Tulin said:

Are you all dieing from hunger, or something, take few days off lads, won't hurt you in long term, I fixing my van, and servicing tools next two days, maybe split few rounds in the morning or f that, will have a beer in the back garden, if you can't afford few days off, you obviously doing something wrong I think, maybe it just me. 

Aye that may be true but if ur cutting in front of a harvester on the las tof edge trees or on a steep banking gully do u just phone ur boss and say a bit hot today do u mind parking up ur 1/2 million quid machine for a few days??

Don't get me wrong if u could plan ur work beter esp in forestry u can start early doors 4 or 5 in morning and save brashing in the shade for heat of day and do felling or more snedding outsiders in the early morning cool.

But unfortunately it doesnae always work like that , as chances are a harvester driver planned the work from his cool air conditioned cab 😃

I abslolutely hate the heat but wearing decent breathable/wicking base layer/lycra type stuff it is easy enough to wear long sleeves in the hottest of days.

and modern cutting pants with zips and breathable bits arenae half as bad as they used to be

As has been said drink plenty of water BUT also add elctrolytes to it.

Seemingly u can buy 'proper' stuff dor bikers/atheltes

Last year i would add 1 or 2 sachets of 'skitter' powder ( that dairrohah? stuff and do think it made me feel a lot better/fresher less sleepy on the drive home.

Was just thinking about the not wearing cutting pants, i'd honestly never dream of it on a commercial site.

If the forrester caught u, at very least u would be made to put them on and a 'yellow' card, but most would kick u off site. many would ban u from all there firms sites.

And go nuts at ur boss.

If they did let u back on they would never be away from ur site wondering wot other things ur up to.

But i do understand with climbing ur cutting/saw positions are completely different and trousers offer far less/no protection to the areas ur likely to catch/cut.

I am actually off today, away back to milling for another couple of hours and i have got some cooler work to do for the worst of heat if it comes as far north as us.

Stay safge, drink plenty, keep in shade ( wear long sleves/collar tunred up and put some electrolyte stuff in ur water

• Like 1

14 hours ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Basra, Umm Qasr and Baghdad - plan to go back at some point. Met some genuinely great people there.  Still in touch with some. 

Did Basra and Baghdad. Never got to Umm Qasr. Not sure I'm in a hurry to go back to either although I did meet some great people too. Also some not so nice types!