Do Not send your lads out Monday and Tuesday.

Gardenscape

If anyone, especially the midlands and down south, is sending your lads out to work all day tomorrow then you are a disgrace. Just reschedule your work for another week when it's cooler. Sunstroke is a massive risk tomorrow and Tuesday. Humidity in the UK is horrible and it feels far hotter than it actually is. I just know there will be bosses who don't care and will tell their lads to work or find a new job.

Edited by Gardenscape
  • Haha 3

I’ve been working in higher temperatures than will hit the UK for two months now, it will be 40 degrees plus here tomorrow.

Plenty of liquids, regular breaks in the shade, change jobs around if possible but just crack on, unless you are made of chocolate.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Gardenscape said:

If anyone, especially the midlands and down south, is sending your lads out to work all day tomorrow then you are a disgrace. Just reschedule your work for another week when it's cooler. Sunstroke is a massive risk tomorrow and Tuesday. Humidity in the UK is horrible and it feels far hotter than it actually is. I just know there will be bosses who don't care and will tell their lads to work or find a new job.

Just lol is the only reply I can think to this 

• Like 2

Jesus, could people cop on a bit. It's manageable. Hydrate, wear appropriate clothing, start early, have a long early lunch and a short, handy afternoon. (If you didn't manage to finish by lunchtime in the first place)

I can honestly say I've never missed a day because the weather was too good. Yeah, too windy, serious downpours I can understand but literally half the world has temperatures like this regularly and still manages to function.

Says more about people's inability to manage themselves than anything else.

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, 5thelement said:

I’ve been working in higher temperatures than will hit the UK for two months now, it will be 40 degrees plus here tomorrow.

Plenty of liquids, regular breaks in the shade, change jobs around if possible but just crack on, unless you are made of chocolate.

Then you're acclimatised. That makes a massive difference. Try working hard wearing chainsaw trousers and helmet in 40C heat without introducing yourself to it gradually and people are asking for trouble.

Early starts, short stints and lots of fluids and work should still be achievable. Just don't try and work at the same rate as you would when it's cooler.

Having seen lads on the receiving end of heat exhaustion, it's no laughing matter when it happens that's for sure.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The temperature went from 18 to 28 degrees pretty much overnight, so no time to acclimatise, just get on with it.

I am from Manchester, I’m not used to this heat and you don’t just get acclimatised to it, you just adjust your working methods to suit it, like we did when we built an Empire.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, 5thelement said:

you just adjust your working methods to suit it, like we did when we built an Empire.

I'm fairly sure "we" adjusted our work methods when building "our" empire by working hundreds of thousands of brown, black, or yellow-skinned locals into the ground, when we, delicate white folk as we are, were unaccustomed to the heat, the humidity, the malaria. Are you suggesting people do the same thing now?

Can you recommend a temp agency with access to thousands of shackled savages? They all keep hanging up on me when I ask. 

Edited by peds
  • Haha 10

51 minutes ago, peds said:

working hundreds of thousands of brown, black, or yellow-skinned locals into the ground

You seem to have omitted the thousands of Irish navvies who helped build the extensive canal and rail networks from your list of slaves, do they not count as their skin is too white?

• Like 2