Antique chairs and linseed oil

Yesway

Hi seeking some advice ... I have stripped some very old Jacobean chairs and they have come up lovely.  I soaked them in linseed oil as they were very dry in parts.  My question is I've noticed the wood colour changing over time, fading.  I didn't want to wax the chairs I wanted to just apply the linseed oil and perhaps top up once a year?  Any tips on how the wood will progress over time.  They almost look dusky in parts ... They were magnificent in colour when the linseed dried 

8 hours ago, Yesway said:

Hi seeking some advice ... I have stripped some very old Jacobean chairs and they have come up lovely.  I soaked them in linseed oil as they were very dry in parts.  My question is I've noticed the wood colour changing over time, fading.  I didn't want to wax the chairs I wanted to just apply the linseed oil and perhaps top up once a year?  Any tips on how the wood will progress over time.  They almost look dusky in parts ... They were magnificent in colour when the linseed dried 

Hi, I'm just wondering if your problem could possibly be mildew, something I've experienced with Linseed oil.

Have a google on the subject, it can be like ' blooming ' or cloudiness when moisture gets into a cellulose paint job or a black mould that forms due to dampness.

Essentially although Linseed oil is a setting oil it's also a foodstuff and can go off just like milk if the conditions are wrong... I'm not sure what you could do about it retrospectively, pics would be helpful but I'm certainly no expert but maybe someone else can suggest a fix, cheers.

9 hours ago, Yesway said:

Hi first thing did you apply the linseed neat ?, i have all ways under stood with linseed it needs to be thinned down 50/50 with white spirit for it to really get in to the timber, i did 2 walking stick stands before Christmas one i did with linseed oil and the other with Danish oil both oils applied at same rate but the Danish oil made for a better finish,,

My background is signwriting and a bit of french polishing. We used to use linseed oil to slow paint, improve reflow (reduce brush marks) and clean. I personally don’t use it for any bare wood finish except a cricket bat. Mainly because it has a tendency to go “fatty” if put on too liberally and doesn’t clean and soak in like Danish oil, or Teak oil. Thinning Linseed oil helps penetration and speeds each coat drying. Like most coatings, several thin coats are better than one thick. If you rub just thinner (turps, white spirit, even laquer thinner) you can sort of draw out the oil you’ve put in to try and remove the spoiled linseed that is in the wood.

• Like 1