day rate processing

treetop1

I did some log splitting for a new client just before xmas. They had already cut a fallen tree into large lumps (chainsawed) and placed it in a barn. I figured it would take about 3 hours with my portable splitter and told them it was £25/hour and would take about 3hours. Did the job, just under 3 hours, paid £75.

They now want me to go back and split another pile twice the size of the first one and cut/split/transport another fallen tree. Probably looking at 3 days work in all for my self with chainsaw/splitter = 21 hours @ £25/hour = £525.

Sound about right?

This thread really is an insight, my suspicions have been realised, I can not compete in the small firewood market............may as well go and stack shelves at Tescos. I cant help but think that based on some on the quotes given here the contractor will lose money.

IMO £200 will roughly be your break even when you factor in ALL the costs tractor, ins, days off, saws, rain, breakages etc. £300 is more like it, you would probably still be better off on the Dole. CM Hort has it about right at £350-400 you will be earning a pretty a good wage for what is, at best inconsistent work (as he admitted).

Sorry if this sounds rude as if I am dismissing people, but seriously take a look at your bottom line, oh and that is not the pub banter bottom line, the reality the accountant hands back to you.

P.S If you are talking beer tokens for the lads then fair enough, £250 cash, but only when you have nothing better to do and if the customer makes quality Earl Grey.

Jonathan......never lifting an axe again :001_smile:

IMO £200 will roughly be your break even when you factor in ALL the costs tractor, ins, days off, saws, rain, breakages etc. £300 is more like it, you would probably still be better off on the Dole. CM Hort has it about right at £350-400 you will be earning a pretty a good wage for what is, at best inconsistent work (as he admitted).

Jonathan......never lifting an axe again :001_smile:

At £350-400 a day for a man with a chainsaw and a tractor to drive a logsplitter I don't think there would be anything inconsistent about it - there would be zero work!

you would need to produce a pretty big pile of firewood in day to make it worth the customer handing you £400

regards

mac

been thinking of renting another barn next to me for firewood storage,,but the figures dont add up, £2500 pa for barn,,£200 electric,£200 insurance for harvestor,£500 for net sacks, £150,chains maintenance, £500 diesel(for tractor)£470 accountant,as log business wood put my arb into vat bracket,,,,basicaly not far off £5000 running costs,,,,against average arb waste 50 ton give or take,,,,x £60 =£3000...that doesnt even include delivery of logs??? maybe I will just keep doing the odd load too tidy up the end of a days arb work,,,,,trouble I have the same as everyone else is tough to wack price up of load,,as others round here sell at crazy prices,,,,,,tough one.