Advice: buying a house in conservation area

eggsarascal

Anyone live in a conservation area, I understand there are restrictions on what work can be done to the property but how rigorous are things in the real world?

I'm looking at buying a 2up 2down cottage in a CA, the front door opens into the living room, if all goes to plan I'd like to have a porch built, would I get PP for it if it was in keeping with the area?

Obvs I'll seek legal advice before I make a move, just wondering if others have had building work done in a CA and was it painful to get things passed?

We're in a CA, it's not bad. We had to get approval on the garage when we wouldn't if not, and submit tile sample but they let us have concrete tiles even though house is old pantile. They aren't too bothered what happens inside, porch would need approval as it changes appearance but provided it's in keeping I would have thought it would be ok.

It's nowhere near as bad as being listed.

Lived in one for 18 years, we applied to change all the windows when we moved in and found out that there was no need.

It may be more "exciting" if the building is protected or listed but if your plans are in line with the original construction, there should be no problems especially if others have done similar.

You may find there are TPOs in place etc but it is generally fine as the control protects the look of the area.

There is still permitted development allowed in a CA..... 

As said needs to fit in... has anyone else set president? A porch can be built up to a certain size with out planning etc. 

It's no biggie. 

I'm in a CA and replaced all my front windows and kept the Georgian bar in them to keep in sync with the rest. Rear windows don't have it. 

Wouldn't phase me getting another house in a con area again

29 minutes ago, swinny said:

There is still permitted development allowed in a CA..... 

As said needs to fit in... has anyone else set president? A porch can be built up to a certain size with out planning etc. 

It's no biggie. 

I'm in a CA and replaced all my front windows and kept the Georgian bar in them to keep in sync with the rest. Rear windows don't have it. 

Wouldn't phase me getting another house in a con area again

Like most things I get involved in this is an oddball, the house is at one end of four cottages right on the edge, but still in the CA. There are no porches on the other three properties. The rest of the Cul-de-Sac are outside the CA, Basically there is nothing in this road to compare it with.

Guest Gimlet
On 15/07/2022 at 20:46, spudulike said:

You may find there are TPOs in place etc but it is generally fine as the control protects the look of the area.

I'm pretty sure all trees within a CA are automatically covered by a TPO.