Who pays?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Who pays?

• Freelancer, that's the cost of doing business
    • Employee, they cut the rope
    • Employer, your responsible for the employees actions

50 minutes ago, Rich Rule said:

???

I thought this had been covered multiple times.  I was in such a position about 10 years ago.  Helping a mate out on a freelance basis.  He asked me to move some boards on an asbestos roof.  One of the main joists collapsed as the garages had moved due to subsidence (Hence the reason the tree was coming out).  I ended up in  a pile of timber and asbestos sheet, dust and other shite on the garage floor.  

The lady who owned the garage tried to pull a fast one and make him pay for a block of 9 new garages.  He tried to claim on the insurance I had (with trust).

They told him that it was his responsibility and it should have been in his insurance and that the freelancers (my) insurance was pointless.   Shame they didn’t tell me that when I took the policy out 3 years earlier.

I would consider a rebuild of 9 garages a lot bigger than a few fence panels.  

I called my insurance company (Trust) and cancelled the policy.

It is different in Scandinavia, that incident I described was in South East London.

My bad rich, forgot about the UK freelancer thing 

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Not relevant, but I rigged a branch over an asbestos roof no problem, then tidied the stub up and a 1 inch piece span off the end of the guide bar and put a small hole in the roof.

Cue men in hazmat suits a big insurance claim and the client got a nice new roof on their outbuilding.

(2001 btw)

Exactly the same happened to me 

I guess the moral of the story is to ascertain beforehand if it’s an asbestos roof and either be more careful/put more money on/absolve yourself of liability if there’s small damage.

If it was modern materials I could have replaced the panel  for £40  on Saturday morning.

You never stop learning.

50 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

That’s about the bones of it, but…..

Say you’ve got a 50 mètre lowering rope and a groundy nicked the  knotted end processing a branch and you lose 2 mètres.

Do you charge the contractor (with whom you probably have a decent relationship) a price for the whole rope, or do you let it slide, break out the insulation tape and a cigarette lighter and get by with 48  meters?

You just lost 48 metres off a 50 metre rope. I'd be pissed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Mick Dempsey said:

That’s about the bones of it, but…..

Say you’ve got a 50 mètre lowering rope and a groundy nicked the  knotted end processing a branch and you lose 2 mètres.

Do you charge the contractor (with whom you probably have a decent relationship) a price for the whole rope, or do you let it slide, break out the insulation tape and a cigarette lighter and get by with 48  meters?

Ok so it isn’t so black and white then 😂 2m you’d let em off with, wouldn’t you? 5m I’d be miffed but let it slide, 10m and they’ve just bought themselves a used 40m lowering rope. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Yeah but those remaining 2 mètres are so sweet!

:D

Too true. You Frencies are always looking on the bright side of life.

My half a tupence of thoughts on this subject is that in this scenario the company pays for a new rope, the employee gets a bit of a rollicking and we all crack on. It's not worth worrying about the little things imo. Unless the freelancer was taking a selfie for instagram at the time and the employee was on his phone replying to said selfie.

On another note. I've just seen a big fook off spider in the living room, I was going to catch it and throw it out the window but I think its best for the Mrs to find it when she gets back from drying her hair.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Mr. Squirrel said:

Ok so it isn’t so black and white then 😂 2m you’d let em off with, wouldn’t you? 5m I’d be miffed but let it slide, 10m and they’ve just bought themselves a used 40m lowering rope. 

I agree not so black and white. 

My ropes 3 or 4 years old I would shrug and say nearly due for replacement anyway, if it's brand new then it's a different conversation.