price for this job

madstockbro

1 hour ago, Mick Dempsey said:

There’s points on both sides. 

If a super well equipped pro firm quotes £450 and a couple of youngsters who know what they’re doing (as these seem to) come in at £300 for a simple bit of hedge cutting like that I’d go with the cheaper quote every time.

Especially as you have to pay that every year.

As time goes by your work changes and you have to say goodbye to some clients and let the new generation get their foot on the ladder.

I’m kind of with that Mick, but the new lads won’t be able to answer the phone next year.

As most of you know, I’m no HSE Nazi, but it does look like 3 hours hedgecutting without ear or eye protection from the vid.

2 areas that are the really big deal.

Madstock, apologies if the lad had just taken his lid off.

Price wise if all the kit is out (I’m in a loose partnership with my mate) we’re after about £1k/day with a couple of extra hands on deck, but will split £400 on a Friday with a couple of hedgecutters, fry-up 10am start and school pick up finish.

Price wise, if you’re running a sustainable business and are happy with the price, and the customer is happy with the price, then come on down!

The price is right!

It’s very much like making love to a beautiful woman….

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Funny thread. I've found myself agreeing with everyone,  despite the very different points of view. To address the question,  madstock, I suppose you have to ask yourself, are you happy with your costing. And I often reflect, and ask myself, would I do the same job again for that price.

Maybe put a bit aside for some ppe., though. I don't like telling other people what they should be doing, but, if you are doing similar work regularly,  it would be to your benefit 👍

On 13/07/2022 at 12:29, madstockbro said:

hi there, was wondering what people would have on this job. it took 2 of us about 3 hours. just with a long arm. quite wide but can sit up there and reach across so not too bad. about 5 bags of cuttings away. i charged £300 which feels too cheap. what re are your thoughts?

600c4c26553643628538802b740d96e8.MOV

Is disposal of 5 tonnes bags of greenwaste factored in to that time? Did you have to pay to drop it? How much fuel did you go through - hedgers and driving? What does your insurance cost. Etc etc etc.

In other words what are your running costs? What do you want to pay yourselves? What will the client pay?

In amongst those questions lies the answer to what you need to charge for that job.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Puffingbilly413 said:

Is disposal of 5 tonnes bags of greenwaste factored in to that time? Did you have to pay to drop it? How much fuel did you go through - hedgers and driving? What does your insurance cost. Etc etc etc.

In other words what are your running costs? What do you want to pay yourselves? What will the client pay?

In amongst those questions lies the answer to what you need to charge for that job.

it really is that simple!

Unfortunately I wouldn’t be able to compete ££££ due to my preferred method of dealing with conifers 

CEA3DA9A-C2B9-4E52-93C5-7BF76DD2FFA8.webp

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 14/07/2022 at 20:08, Mick Dempsey said:

As time goes by your work changes and you have to say goodbye to some clients and let the new generation get their foot on the ladder.

I'm not sure why that last bit made me smile so much but its very true. 

If you're doing the same work you were doing when you started 4 years ago for example, you're not progressing. 

Anyway, in regards to what would I charge? 

I've switched up how I quote now so would go a little like this: 

3 hours work x 2 men with minimal plant/equipment and waste would be £84 inc vat per man hour x 6 so £504 inc vat. (£420 ex)

Admittedly, probably wouldn't win the job but as Mick says, this kind of work is for when you just start out. It doesn't work when you need to make £1200 + VAT a day with your 3-4 employed men to make a profit, but thats just us. 

The question was, what would you charge, which should be slightly different for every company. 

Also, 3 hours is slightly more than half a day IMO unless the next job is real close and the 1st was near the yard. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Clutchy said:

If you're doing the same work you were doing when you started 4 years ago for example, you're not progressing. 

I'm doing the same work I was doing 30 years ago. So I'm not sure what that says about me. I'm actually considering regressing at the moment 

• Like 1