Sidelines

eggsarascal

Some people supplement their income like this, cars, quads and motorbikes etc.

I just hate the whole process of selling stuff, putting an ad up, answering questions, dealing with dreamers, meeting potential buyers, haggling, then filling out paperwork.

I avoid it where possible.

• Like 13

7 minutes ago, Paul in the woods said:

What's the answer though eggs? I could do with a new set myself, I was also wondering the other day if drain rods could be used for drey poking.

If you are going to use plastic rods lockfast are the best, I use 8mm steelkane rods.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bolt said:

I’m with Mick.  

I’d be more likely to buy for £800 and struggle to sell for £450 if previous performance is anything to go by.

Same. Hate buying and selling anything. Had to sell my caravan recently.  Advertised at 6000. Got an offer of 5500. I think I was supposed to say 5750, but I just said 'OK,  thanks'

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Stihl123 said:

i do it with saws, kombi kits and mowers etc when i can

flipped 4x 880's and made more than enough to pay for an 881

mowers are good, buy at the end of the season, clean them right up and sell in spring 

Good work. Not for me as I said, but love a bit of hustle. 

5 hours ago, Paul in the woods said:

I was also wondering the other day if drain rods could be used for drey poking.

Can’t see it working myself…. Drain rods can be awful flexible, so you are never going to push many up a tree before they start coming down again.

I guess you could try to weave them over suitable branches on the way up…. Possibly.

I tried with a couple of sets of utility insulated rods before, but many dreys can be deceptively high up trees!

4 hours ago, Con said:

Same. Hate buying and selling anything. Had to sell my caravan recently.  Advertised at 6000. Got an offer of 5500. I think I was supposed to say 5750, but I just said 'OK,  thanks'

Your reply to his £5500 should have been NO, then say nothing more.

• Like 1

We've all had a similar thought at some point. It's easy to look at such things with rose tinted glasses though, especially when you've bought the car from someone local or someone you know. 

What you've done with this car is not a true representation of what you could do with many cars. If you were dealing cars for an income you'd have VAT, tax, warranties, buying a lemon, trade insurance and all sorts of things taking a slice out of your pie.

Dealing in bangers has got to be a hard way to make a living. You'd need to sell multiple cars every day to make it worth bothering with. 

• Like 2