Flask Hygiene

Doug Tait

I'm in the  "water only" camp. Tea, coffee, hot chocolate or soup! Coffee jar was pre mixed ratio of two spoons of sugar,  two of dried milk and one instant coffee!

Stood overnight on Friday with boiling water and a squirt of lemon juice to clear out the effects of hard water. Otherwise, empty without the lid. I preferred the flasks with steel liner rather than glass and it was pre warmed before filling too. Everyday for 17 years!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dan Maynard said:

Nobody suggested popping to Costa? Deliveroo?

Have worked with one chap who would call them up if he'd done a private job at the weekend as feeling flush.

Handy if your in town but got to be self sufficient here, no guarantees a customer will offer and we're often miles away from civilisation. Today clearing windblown on a walking route by a river was fully 60mins walk/drive from a shop

2 hours ago, openspaceman said:

I think he's taking another of his rests from arbtalk so someone else will have to wield the whip.

Shame, do you know if he's well?

Gary has been on a sabbatical as well, anyone know how he is?

2 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

PBW will soon sort this issue out.

Full spectrum cleaner for all types of organic soil, proteins, and stains on a broad range of equipment.

Well respected in the Micro Brewing/Home brewing world. 

Do you even use a flask Andy?

I imagined you'd have a Butler available for that sort of thing!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Doug Tait said:

Do you even use a flask Andy?

I imagined you'd have a Butler available for that sort of thing!

I don’t think I even own a flask to be honest. 🤣

But I used to do a lot of home brewing, and the way prices are going I’ll be getting right back into it again. Might even finish my Boka Still as well. 

I’ve yet to be on a Milling job where I’ve not been offered a brew. Generally it’s a steady stream of coffee too. 

• Like 1

A post like this and you get to know the really really weird people online....

Milton does the job well, Gran used to swear by boiling vanish in pan to get rid of proper burnt on stuff, does the same in a flask, but be warned, soapy chemicals leave an after taste for years (took 2 years with one flask, but learnt to drink from it breathing out at the same time so I couldn't smell the soap), but like anyone knows a good aged cup with tea stains are the best. Dad used a flask every day in work and left it full of water soaking overnight (cold water that still has the chlorine in, does heating tap water boil that off?). Never store anything with the lids left on.

For me, if I can, I will have a small stove, gas and brew a coffee fresh, else some ground coffee in the flask, pour in the water and let it brew till I want it, if it is kept upright for a while the grounds sink well enough.

Anyway, Mellow Birds anyone?