Flask Hygiene

Doug Tait

6 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Almost as bad as those sickos who bring Tupperware boxes of last nights stinky dinner and eat it with a plastic fork. They want shooting.

Sorry. What should I be eating instead? 

20220707_131033.thumb.jpg.e045f618b81a346fff78b39556673200.jpg

I get to piss off the flask Nazis as well... curry in a thermos?! Outrageous! 

For what it's worth, dairy has no place in a thermos flask, milk should be kept separate for those who need it, with the exception of hot chocolate which, ideally, should have its own flask that is never used for tea or coffee.

Mick there can get away with leaving the bag in his flask of tea because, as an honorary Frenchman, he only has access to Lipton, and he probably uses the hot tap instead of the kettle to brew it. I have, on occasion, forgotten to take the bag out in the morning and discovered a flask of creosote later in the day, which can turn an already difficult day into an utter disaster. 

Rooibos, peppermint, herbal teas and the like, are a lot more forgiving and the bag can be left in, and topped up with more water throughout the day if a kettle becomes available. 

Guest Gimlet
16 hours ago, Steve Bullman said:

Have to say this just be a first on arbtalk which is surprising!

do you mix everything up in your flask? Personally I used to just fill mine with hot water and have teabags, coffee, sachets of sugar, and little cream/milk pots to hand 

Same here. Never put milk into a flask, boiling water only and take separate makings. You get a proper tasting brew and it stays hotter. 

29 minutes ago, AHPP said:

Why do communists drink rooibos? Because proper tea is theft. 

I think I told that one on the last flask thread on here. 

You can't have done, we've never had a flask thread.

• Like 1

Other things I've learned:

- Leave the lids off when not in use to prevent flask going musty

- Warm everything up with boiling water first. This makes even poor quality cheap flasks stay hot. 

- Have dedicated separate tea and soup/Bovril flasks

- keep milk separate from tea until ready to drink.  Sounds naff, but I was given a 200ml flask that is ideal for storing the milk.

• Like 1

Guest Gimlet

And don't put sweet potato into any stew you make for your food flask. It overcooks in the flask through the day and when you come to eat it it's turned into slimy orange gloop. 

1 hour ago, peds said:

Sorry. What should I be eating instead? 

20220707_131033.thumb.jpg.e045f618b81a346fff78b39556673200.jpg

I get to piss off the flask Nazis as well... curry in a thermos?! Outrageous! 

For what it's worth, dairy has no place in a thermos flask, milk should be kept separate for those who need it, with the exception of hot chocolate which, ideally, should have its own flask that is never used for tea or coffee.

Mick there can get away with leaving the bag in his flask of tea because, as an honorary Frenchman, he only has access to Lipton, and he probably uses the hot tap instead of the kettle to brew it. I have, on occasion, forgotten to take the bag out in the morning and discovered a flask of creosote later in the day, which can turn an already difficult day into an utter disaster. 

Rooibos, peppermint, herbal teas and the like, are a lot more forgiving and the bag can be left in, and topped up with more water throughout the day if a kettle becomes available. 

To answer your concerns.

Sandwiches is what you should be eating, or bread based snacks. Crisps as a side dish.

I drink Yorkshire tea.

Peppermint tea! (Shakes head mournfully)

Edited by Mick Dempsey
Forgot about crisps.
  • Like 2

Has anyone said: Small glug of White Wine Vinegar and  boiling  water left in overnight cleans most things and gets rid of any residual taste/flavours.

Always works for me. Rinse out in the morning and refill with whatever. 

• Like 2