• July 2022
    • August
    • September
    • October
    • November
    • December 2022
    • Sometime in 2023

16 hours ago, Haironyourchest said:

Never been happier with my 1.3 diesel. 10 cent per km. Even if it goes to €6 a liter I can still make a living. That's if there's any job left to go to, of course.

Till they ban diesels!

my 1.3 tdci corsa van must save me a lot these days on commuting and quoting. I remember years ago doing a spreadsheet to gauge how many miles id need to do in one to cover the insurance and tax. 

Now I run seven vehicles but I wouldn’t be without it. 

Whilst I know as much as the next man about refining. Wiki says in 2000 we had 12 refineries, we now have 6 as of 2019.

What I can't fathom is aviation fuel, if airlines are cancelling due to staff shortages, there must be an absolute ton of unused fuel laying around in storage.

So one would assume they can pickup the slack and make more road fuels.

2 hours ago, GarethM said:

Whilst I know as much as the next man about refining. Wiki says in 2000 we had 12 refineries, we now have 6 as of 2019.

Yes this was a result of us moving towards dependence on being the banker for europe and no longer needing to produce stuff for ourselves but then europe has moved banking in house.

2 hours ago, GarethM said:

What I can't fathom is aviation fuel, if airlines are cancelling due to staff shortages, there must be an absolute ton of unused fuel laying around in storage.

Pre covid aviation was just over 1/6 of our petroleum products consumption for transport. Aviation kerosene is a mixture of hydrocarbons  in between petrol and diesel, so it is probably just a matter of distilling out the right fraction, if demand goes down the higher carbon molecules get incorporated in to diesel and the lower ones end up in petrol.

the government is buying it by the boat load every day  into the new storage facility that was completed early this year at loch long  even have a tanker moored there for nearly 6 months never mind the other navel ports on the south coast  then there is the NATO refueling place at loch striven 

So on BoJo's way out of the door an 'investigation' into retailer pricing is announced; quelle surprise.

Would it be overly cynical of me to think this may be a sop now that many pockets have been heavily lined and the cash cow well and truly milked?

• Haha 1