How big is yours? And ... Does size matter ?

John Skinner

Yes. I like the tyre idea for the splitting of the larger logs/multiple smaller logs. Will probably give that a go. I have some 235's and rear bike tyres that could be ideal for this.

I'll also have to invest in a good maul to add to the axe collection.

But first things first. I need to layout a trail of beer to attract some Arbs to my tip site 😉

Not sure you really need a large collection.  I have a crap Maul (from screwfix), an x27 and a smaller axe acquired from a friend.  I only use the x27.  When that does not cope then I have a couple of wedges and a sledge but using them is slow and hard work so if the chainsaw is to hand that gets used in preference.

wrt the tip site link, that is for companies outside their normal working area.  If you want a more regular supply then you really want to make contact with local companies and come to some mutually agreeable arrangement.

Collection:

Chainsaw (18" 65cc), a basic splitting axe, couple of mid size 1kg hand axes, a small kindling splitter axe, a 1.8kg grenade 4-way wedge (due in), a Titan Pro wedge (due in), various lump and sledge hammers. All of which, other than the wedges, have been gathered in over the years, but remain new.

I have spoken to a few of the local companies and most are selling their wood by the cubic meter for more than i can buy for/would pay. But i'm still waiting to hear back from some.

The point of the Tip Site listing was to take in any FREE/Discounted/Bartered wood as an extra, to fill out the new woodshed. The more i can take in FREE, the less i have to actually buy. I don't like disturbing the moths in my wallet 🤪

I can 'usually' buy discounted raw uncut wood in 3x, 6x, 12x M3 loads for self cutting/collection direct from the wood. But due to storm damage, wind blown trees, health and safety issues - that's all off atm. Waiting to hear back about that atm too. 

9 hours ago, John Skinner said:

most are selling their wood by the cubic meter for more than i can buy for/would pay.

Even softwood? I'd generally give or throw away conifer as most people don't want it and once I've split a few cube for myself it has to go somewhere.

2 hours ago, neiln said:

Once you get some experience, 2/3rds of this kit will not be used.

Get assume wood and start splitting, then ask more questions, until then you're over thinking it

Like i said ... most of them i've had for years. Only now are they potentially coming into use. Not sure i'm overthinking it, but I know what you mean 👍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dan Maynard said:

Even softwood? I'd generally give or throw away conifer as most people don't want it and once I've split a few cube for myself it has to go somewhere.

I have a brand new stove. Last thing i want to do is burn conifer in it. I don't want to ruin the flue ... well ... not until i've actually paid for it  😂🤣

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, John Skinner said:

I have a brand new stove. Last thing i want to do is burn conifer in it. I don't want to ruin the flue ... well ... not until i've actually paid for it  😂🤣

It would be the best value firewood your likely to get. Connifer doesn’t ruin flues wet wood does regardless of type. 

soft wood that is dryed well will give good heat, it’s only down side is it burns a bit quicker but with near instant heat.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, John Skinner said:

Its a misconception that soft wood does what you say . Its only wet , unseasoned wood ( hard or soft )  that causes problems . I have burnt plenty of seasoned soft wood over the years . All its ever done is kept me warm . 

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1