A restored hatstand.

difflock

I have genuinely forgotten where I acquired this hatstand, most probably being discarded in an office or store red-out by the Council.

Anyway it was falling apart.

See pics.

A whole lot of scraping(and aren't old hoarded disposable Bacho handsaws so useful!)

80 new dowels.

Some short tempered swearing/squaring before the glue went off(it was warped and twisted, one leg in particular, but I got it sorted)

I had to make the base up from scratch, which was tricky to fit since the oak side rails were bent, and canted inward towards the top!

Hmmm?

I might try and source a sheet of copper, from an old hot cylinder I did NOT take to the scrappie when scrap copper was stupid high, and fold a tray to sit in the base to catch the umbrella drips.

And finished with Osmo.

I enjoyed this project for the daughter, but if I charged by the hour?

Cheers,

Marcus, the hat.

IMG_20220524_120852986.jpg

IMG_20220524_121205604.jpg

IMG_20220524_121211597.jpg

IMG_20220524_121220326.jpg

IMG_20220702_064551642.jpg

received_352371426972368.jpeg

received_1696439737398680.jpeg

received_446220323681922.jpeg

received_514811803756274.jpeg

received_514811803756274.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, roys said:

I like that

The daughter has eyed up the perfect place for it, in a wee "bolt on" front porch, so I figured the UV resistant Osmo(that I used for the window frames) should be best suited, plus it is  so easy to touch in any scratches or damage.

16 hours ago, difflock said:

I might try and source a sheet of copper, from an old hot cylinder I did NOT take to the scrappie when scrap copper was stupid high, and fold a tray to sit in the base to catch the umbrella drips

Pay attention Bond.

18 minutes ago, daveatdave said:

good referb just need a galvanized tray in the bottom to catch the water 

I thought of SS, Aluminium, or galvanised, but figured that whilst it might have been copper, or more likely cheap brass origionally, the galvanised would be the most period appropriate.

But since I have the copper and it is easily worked, and I can solder the corners leakproof and it will look attractive and age gracefully.

So now I need to contrive a contraption of a home made brake-press.

Or try and get the cousin to do it at his work?

Cheers all.

• 4 weeks later...

See pics,

I fabricated a "break/brake? press", and then realized after folding the 2 opposing sides that I could not get at the remaining two sides, nor could I use it to return the top lip, so, near-enough as somebody suggested,  I should simply have cut a wooden blank the inner size and "beat" the copper round it on all four sides.

So I did the other 2 sides over clamped in situ battens, and ditto for the top return.

The 4 corners are soldered and watertight.

Regardless when finished millimetric perfect and sat 4-square on a flat surface. Though I boobed and cut off the portion I needed to retain to fill in the gap at the 4 outer corners in the  horizontal lip.

Bugger!

But on balance I was pleased enough.

It was a pleasure working with the copper tbh.

IMG_20220709_113942322.jpg

IMG_20220726_203518005.jpg

IMG_20220726_203556628.jpg

IMG_20220726_203856299.jpg

Edited by difflock
  • Like 13

1 hour ago, difflock said:

See pics,

I fabricated a "break/brake? press", and then realized after folding the 2 opposing sides that I could not get at the remaining two sides, nor could I use it to return the top lip, so, near-enough as somebody suggested,  I should simply have cut a wooden blank the inner size and "beat" the copper round it on all four sides.

So I did the other 2 sides over clamped in situ battens, and ditto for the top return.

The 4 corners are soldered and watertight.

Regardless when finished millimetric perfect and sat 4-square on a flat surface. Though I boobed and cut off the portion I needed to retain to fill in the gap at the 4 outer corners in the  horizontal lip.

Bugger!

But on balance I was pleased enough.

It was a pleasure working with the copper tbh.

IMG_20220709_113942322.jpg

IMG_20220726_203518005.jpg

IMG_20220726_203556628.jpg

IMG_20220726_203856299.jpg

It looks great standing in place 👍

• Thanks 1