sub contractors

teresa green

12 hours ago, eggsarascal said:

I'm probably missing something again.

How can someone be a subcontractor and not be self employed?

A contractor could be self-employed or have the status of a ‘Worker’ or even be an employee if work for somebody but employed by an agency (see employment status on gov.uk site for more details). You would not provide PPE for a self-employed contractor however you would need to though for a ‘Worker’ as you would with an ‘Employee’ to comply with HSE at work regulations.

Yeah it's flipping complicated when you start reading in to it.

Pimlico plumbers and Uber - self employed people who were deemed to be workers and hence get some of the employment benefits.

I'm not really clear to what extent it would apply to arb workers, there are some articles around about it applying to casual construction workers. Certainly for me, I have some spare helmets and gloves in the van for people that come and help move stuff, those people don't have saw tickets so I'm not providing chainsaw trousers and boots.

Regular subbing to a firm, maybe they should provide PPE?

On 29/06/2022 at 19:29, teresa green said:

Well of course, but renewing your boots, trousers etc multiple times a year can be a sting

Might be a bit of a sting when the person you're subbing to tells you you'll need to lower your date rate if they're buying all your PPE for you too? 🤷‍♂️