Current cubic foot prices

trigger_andy

Hello brains trust.

I’ve a potential customer looking for a good quantity of green Oak and Elm and then seasoned Spalted Beech.

It’s quite a specific cutting list and I’m not really sure how to price it up. If I cut everything to his cutting list I’ll have quite a lot of waste that I’d otherwise get paid for as I usually charge whatever it comes off the saw at.

Regardless, what’s everyone charging for green Oak and Elm in cubic foot and seasoned Spalted Beech (700mm wide)

I might just add 20-25% of whatever cubic foot price to account for cutting everything to length.

Cheers all. :)

On 29/06/2022 at 18:44, trigger_andy said:

Hello brains trust.

I’ve a potential customer looking for a good quantity of green Oak and Elm and then seasoned Spalted Beech.

It’s quite a specific cutting list and I’m not really sure how to price it up. If I cut everything to his cutting list I’ll have quite a lot of waste that I’d otherwise get paid for as I usually charge whatever it comes off the saw at.

Regardless, what’s everyone charging for green Oak and Elm in cubic foot and seasoned Spalted Beech (700mm wide)

I might just add 20-25% of whatever cubic foot price to account for cutting everything to length.

Cheers all. :)

As you rightly say if you cut it to the customer's exact list you could end up with a lot of waste.  With the green oak and elm I suggest working out what log lengths you will use, and then simply charging them for that full length.  In other words, if they need pieces at 2.4m, 2.7m and 3.2m calculate the price for each one at 3.2m.

Personally I would charge £30 per cubic foot for regular green oak and £35 for elm.  If the customer demands a high grade or no sapwood or whatever I would charge more.

Seasoned beech you simply have to price up every board they want and then if you are machining charge extra for your time.  The risk here is if you choose the boards - might be better if you let the customer do this.

13 hours ago, Squaredy said:

As you rightly say if you cut it to the customer's exact list you could end up with a lot of waste.  With the green oak and elm I suggest working out what log lengths you will use, and then simply charging them for that full length.  In other words, if they need pieces at 2.4m, 2.7m and 3.2m calculate the price for each one at 3.2m.

Personally I would charge £30 per cubic foot for regular green oak and £35 for elm.  If the customer demands a high grade or no sapwood or whatever I would charge more.

Seasoned beech you simply have to price up every board they want and then if you are machining charge extra for your time.  The risk here is if you choose the boards - might be better if you let the customer do this.

Thanks for the informed reply. :)

I would not bother at less than £50 a cube. Simple not worth my time. 

Ive asked another local member to quote for the 6m and even the 5m lengths and that’s over £65+vat just for the 5m. And I don’t blame him. 

With local Elm going south for over £300-£350 a ton there is no way I’d flog choice boards for £65 a cubic foot. 

At these prices it’s a £15,000 order. But a serious amount of timber and labour. Anything less and it’s simply not worth my time. 

I fail to see your problem you know how much the order is worth to you £15000 so add £1500.00 gets you £16500 tell customer he can have bit of discount for prompt payments ,wait for instruction and deposit start cutting

its not rocket science 

If your question should have been How much can I get for this order then you should ask for £20.000 and see if they bite!you can always negotiate a reduction in price but hard to increase

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dumper said:

I fail to see your problem you know how much the order is worth to you £15000 so add £1500.00 gets you £16500 tell customer he can have bit of discount for prompt payments ,wait for instruction and deposit start cutting

its not rocket science 

If your question should have been How much can I get for this order then you should ask for £20.000 and see if they bite!you can always negotiate a reduction in price but hard to increase

I was really asking what the current cubic foot prices people are charging. It then got a bit long winded. 

At £50 a cubic foot it’s borderline worth taking on. But potentially prices around the UK are higher than that and if so then I’ve some good justification to go back to the customer with why the order is so much. If prices are lower than at £50 a cube I’m already maxed out. 

It’s also good to know what the current market prices are. 

26 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

I was really asking what the current cubic foot prices people are charging. It then got a bit long winded. 

At £50 a cubic foot it’s borderline worth taking on. But potentially prices around the UK are higher than that and if so then I’ve some good justification to go back to the customer with why the order is so much. If prices are lower than at £50 a cube I’m already maxed out. 

It’s also good to know what the current market prices are. 

its not rocket science