Chainsaw Firewood Processor problem

cessna

Do any of you that have a firewood processor ,that uses a chain saw to cut the logs find that after time the chainsaw "jams" when about halfway through a log.I ask as I have an old JAPA 2100 Firewood  Processor and after quite a few loads ,the chainsaw jams when about half way through cutting a log. What causes this?

I assume it is the VERY fine burr that gradually builds on the chain bar, as I find once I file the burrs of the bar works ok. That said the burr is SO fine I find it hard to believe that is the problem, ???

It's usually a sign of a blunt chain or bar, you can change just one to find out. Processor bars usually wear more on one side/rail so I've found you have to file the good and bad sides to keep it level. I use a vallorbe bar dresser which helps a bit.

Also worth checking that the bar hasn't opened up very slightly.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, gdh said:

It's usually a sign of a blunt chain or bar, you can change just one to find out. Processor bars usually wear more on one side/rail so I've found you have to file the good and bad sides to keep it level. I use a vallorbe bar dresser which helps a bit.

Wrong gauge chain for the slot can cause the same problem in chainsaws

• Like 1

9 hours ago, gdh said:

I know vallorbe make good kit, but I wonder if there's much difference between it and a chinese one

SKYLANDEQUIPMENT.COM

Vallorbe from Switzerland produce the best equipment when it comes to sharpening your chainsaw chain. This tool allows...

44 minutes ago, scbk said:

I know vallorbe make good kit, but I wonder if there's much difference between it and a chinese one

Vallorbe from Switzerland produce the best equipment when it comes to sharpening your chainsaw chain. This tool allows...

I doubt it to be honest, the file will be good quality but it's just a cheap bit of plastic to hold it at a right angle. Probably all made in the same place... 

3 hours ago, scbk said:

I find quality bars a bit hard for these files. Think I tried the Vallorbe but it tended to slide over rather than file the bar. Was OK on my original cheapy Oregon bar. 

Built a simple grinder set up at 90 degrees in the end

Firstly I know nothing about your application BUT.... have experienced very similar on chainsaws.

The issue in my instance was one of two things - uneven bar rails or splayed bar rails.

If you take the bar off and lay a flat edge on the bar rails, the flat edge should be 90 degrees with the bar, If it is not, the chain will not operate square with the bar and the cutters will not cut in to the wood as they should.

If the bar groves still have life in them (they are deeper than the drive links of the chain), the bar can be ground so both rails are made even....I use a bench grinder adjusted for this.

If the rails are splayed - you will see the chain can be moved side to side in the bar grove and this also causes the chain to "flop" in the cut and stops cutting. The solution is either to fit a new bar and chain or you can, if skilled, knock the rails together with a hammer and a solid base - anvil or a vice.

I have had a saw cut halfway through a log and then you could rev the nuts of the saw with no chip or progress in the cut, all down to the above.

I am assuming the issue is less of a "Jam" and more that the chain stops cutting and throwing out chip...if not, ignore this content.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...