Domestic Stump Grinders

Lady Lesley

21 minutes ago, spuddog0507 said:

This where a decent operator who knows what he is doing on a machine comes in to play, i know of machine operators who claim they are good on a machine but back in the real world they are just a average run of the mill operator, One bloke i know who has just retired at 72 after spending five and a half decades of driving machines for his crust, he worked on the M1 M4 M5 and the M25 on all sorts of machines and this guy i am sure could strike a match with a bucket tooth, 

But can they model a mankini ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Stere said:

Think i metioned this before on another thread. I saw some garden design prog on the telly for a large posh garden. They bought in some big tree stumps on a flat bed lorry to make a stumpery. Think they paid  over 100 quid  for each large stump and had near a dozen or so stumps...

Might be an idea to use up all the stumps.....if you did get them dug up,  make to your own stumpery somewhere......

Dave is strong but there's only one of him. I'm not that strong say half a man. But if we wait until August our son will be down and he's as strong as 2 men. That 32 inch laurel could make a great center stump. It already is an interesting shape even as a stump. It's been cut down in sometime in its long life but had regrown when we inherited it. I cant see Dave going for it but if dig the rubbish away from the base and start exposing roots etc - we'll see what happens. 

Dave is strong but there's only one of him. I'm not that strong say half a man. But if we wait until August our son will be down and he's as strong as 2 men. That 32 inch laurel could make a great center stump. It already is an interesting shape even as a stump. It's been cut down in sometime in its long life but had regrown when we inherited it. I cant see Dave going for it but if dig the rubbish away from the base and start exposing roots etc - we'll see what happens. 

Maybe get this superhuman son of yours to rip the stumps out with his bare hands?
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

First get a quote for all stumps, and a quote for only the big ones. 

buy the little grinder if you must, do the smaller stumps yourself. Remember it’ll still cost you in fuel, teeth, rookie mistakes etc (make some diy shields too)

you should get half of the purchase cost back, maybe more when you’re finished

But still pay someone else to do the big two, or do them yourself if you’re really really bored and then pay a similar amount in back, neck, shoulder and hand therapy 

• Like 1

I think personally the smart thing to do would be to get someone to price them.... 

If your hell bent on doing it yourselves :

Up your budget slightly. Buy a driven hydraulic machine like a vermeer sc252 or rayco 1625..... stumps will be a lot easier for you and your back!

with the above machines, you stand to the side and use levers to grind the stump and drive the grinder. Lot easier than ragging yourself to bits with pedestrian grinder.

Do the stumps and move the grinder on for very little depreciation!

Edited by swinny
  • Like 3