Domestic Stump Grinders

Lady Lesley

33 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

If it's on your own property then burning a stump out over a few days is okay. I made a stump burning device in 1976 and it was very effective but frightening. The main feature was a hoover motor blowing and burning from under the stump and using the exhaust heat to preheat incoming air. As the stump comes up to pyrolysis temperature the fire really takes off and it sounds like a jet engine. Basically it was a fire risk and un insurable.

Well it's your decision but it gives you the opportunity to chase out all the stump till you can just dig the laterals out where a commercial firm may just take the stump out to 10" below soil level and cover with soil and grindings. I tend to spend a lot of time raking the grindings out to see where I am going (I wonder if attaching a leaf sucker hose through the top guard would be effective).

I took a leaf out of @Ty Korrigan's book and spent a lot of time preparing my first stump with the little machine in order to cut out as much clean wood and only engage soil when necesary.

I'm practically an 'influencer' me.

Visit me on Grindr for more stump removal tips.

Stuart

• Haha 4

I also dig round stumps, you want to find the bricks and concrete with a spade not the grinder teeth. Once dug so many bricks out round elder stumps the stump came out of the ground, didn't need the grinder I'd hired.

For me, I look at a day each on the big ones and a few days doing the small ones, I'd rather pay someone else to do the work and have the 5 days back than buy that grinder and the back ache.

On the other hand if you can ignore the 36" stumps then the 4 to 10" are the comfort zone for pedestrian grinders, do them gradually and as openspaceman says keep the teeth sharp. Like all things, sharpen before they get blunt and they need less work to bring the edge back.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Stere said:

Is ground going to used for something else that means all stumps have to be got rid?

The gardens of the house we've moved into had been neglected for 16 years plus. The trees etc were so closely packed that we didn't know there was a 12 foot pond hiding in the middle until our dog came back with wet legs. We were faced with 20ft long brambles and ivy like I've seen before.
We like trees and are thinning the trees out so we can see them as individual trees.

We have stumps spread over 3 separate gardens. We have a good 25 smallish stumps running parallel to and just a foot away from where we need to erect a fence. We know there's rocks, bricks and wire down below the soil level because our next door neighbour has buried them in an attempt to raise the level of his garden. Those stumps need to come out and and I suspect it will take us a day to just get rid of the rubbish around the stumps first. 

Then there's stumps where we need to make a turning circle.

The rest are more trip hazards between other trees. As for the 2 large stumps, one is close to the house so I think we should just flatten it to the height of the soil or just above soil height and put a big pretty planter on the top so it looks like it's meant to be there.
The other large stump is where we're planning to put our raised beds, so flattening it will work and it's out of the way so we'll tackle that one last.   

We've still to finish one side of the front garden and that involves removing more trees and most of them are  laurels.                           

• Like 1

After reading all the above, i am surprised no one has mentioned hiring a 3 tonne digger in either on a self drive basis or with a operator, i think it would be by far the quickest, easiest and the cheapest way to do the task you want, when you get the stumps out just stack em up to dry off for a while and then burn em, personally i think a good man on a decent 3 tonner would have your job done in a day, you would have no out lay, no machine to maintain, no repairs to do and pay for only thing you would have is one payment of £300 ish for machine and operator and you would have to do very little as well,

• Like 6

Think i metioned this before on another thread. I saw some garden design prog on the telly for a large posh garden. They bought in some big tree stumps on a flat bed lorry to make a stumpery. Think they paid  over 100 quid  for each large stump and had near a dozen or so stumps...

Might be an idea to use up all the stumps.....if you did get them dug up,  make to your own stumpery somewhere......

Edited by Stere
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, spuddog0507 said:

After reading all the above, i am surprised no one has mentioned hiring a 3 tonne digger in either on a self drive basis or with a operator, i think it would be by far the quickest, easiest and the cheapest way to do the task you want, when you get the stumps out just stack em up to dry off for a while and then burn em, personally i think a good man on a decent 3 tonner would have your job done in a day, you would have no out lay, no machine to maintain, no repairs to do and pay for only thing you would have is one payment of £300 ish for machine and operator and you would have to do very little as well,

This is a good point, especially if you know the ground has a lot of bricks and rubbish in.

• Like 2

Morning Dan.

Our back garden has a gentle slope but our neighbours garden is flat. At the bottom of our garden both our garden and our neighbours garden are the same level - but as you walk up the slope in our back garden our garden becomes steadily higher than our neighbours until at top there's around an 18 inch difference.

Our neighbour is even older than us (we're 68 and 63) so it's down to us to erect a fence - but first we need remove around 25 tree stumps.

We considered a mini digger at first but our neighbour has built his shed and woodstore very close to the fence line and only 15 to 18 inches from the stumps we need to remove. We're worried using a digger could destroy his shed and woodstore foundations and we'd then end up having to renew both of them. This is the same neighbour who's piled rocks, bricks and soil up trying to bring the side of his garden level with ours - but in the process he's also buried the bottom the original post and wire fence. I still don't understand why he tried to raise the level of his garden because the piece he's raised is only 18 inches wide and the rest of his garden is now is now lower than the bit he's raised up.

I know it's a nightmare.

9 hours ago, Lady Lesley said:

We're worried using a digger could destroy his shed and woodstore foundations

This where a decent operator who knows what he is doing on a machine comes in to play, i know of machine operators who claim they are good on a machine but back in the real world they are just a average run of the mill operator, One bloke i know who has just retired at 72 after spending five and a half decades of driving machines for his crust, he worked on the M1 M4 M5 and the M25 on all sorts of machines and this guy i am sure could strike a match with a bucket tooth, 

• Like 1