Chainsaw advice for newbie

Adam Northwest

On 27/06/2022 at 21:14, Dan Maynard said:

Hmm I am longtime Dolmar fan, if you're going Makita I would skip the 5600 to be honest as it a F saw for farm. The EA5000 is a good 50cc or up to EA6100 for 60cc in pro saws. They're not produced any more but cracking value for money if you find one.

Is that so? I don't know the ins and outs of the range but absolutely love my ea4300, very capable little saw.

first i would find out what dealers you have local to you as if you buy sthil and your surrounded by husky dealers you may have problems getting parts.

second i would take the time to visit a few saw shops and get your hands on different saws you will soon tell how well the saw is going to feel in the hand , as when you start using it for 2 hours it might look good but feel crap .

third i would check see what the maximum bar length your trainer will allow as most around me are only training with a maximum 15'' bar .

hope this is of some help .

• 2 months later...

Ok so ill chime in as a part time logger now mainly firewood production and sales i fell somewhat here and there locally. i have had used larger saws mainly for power in larger wood 372 xp 066 Sthil and the like i had got a Stihl ms 500i two or so years ago my wife got it as a Father's Day gift as i started the firewood business full time that saw and my 372 xp plus other little logger type things got stollen from my rig but i can say. the MS 261 c-m hangs at 4 hp 10 pounds and if you mod it like I did you can get more out of it i use it felling and firewood i keep an old 372 close by if needed i also have the 251 cb and i find it wanting it can't compare to the 261 c get the mtronic though you won't be disappointed I'm not a pro i don't know everything and i am new to the game only been doing this 10 ish years  don't get caught up in numbers  get what's comfy for you  and what feels nice running it anyone can run a saw for 5 mins and cut a few cookies but if you use it daily 10 pounds will mater over 11  i know i loved my big saws but if i could get something lighter that may be a little less powerful but could still cut id go with that over the ripper with 50 inch bar 28 was my7 go to but on the east coast we dont need 100 mile long saws hope you consider some of what was said and hope it helps feel free if you have questions about either saw ask ill help with what i can 

1 hour ago, huyinthewoodswithapowersaw said:

i also have the 251 cb and i find it wanting it can't compare to the 261 c get the mtronic though you won't be disappointed I'm not a pro i don't know everything and i am new to the game only been doing this 10 ish years  don't get caught up in numbers  get what's comfy for you  and what feels nice running it 

Join the club! I hadn't realised the gulf between the 251 and the 261, but at the time I  thought that the 251 would be an upgrade from an 023. Shoulda gone for a 261.