Planning application & Arboricultural Method Statement

MaxD54

26 minutes ago, MaxD54 said:

@John Shutler,  thanks for that but my main question remains: why can’t I decide myself whether or not I want to safeguard my trees as they are all TPO free? 

planning is a minefield and a lot of the time it doesn’t always make sense. they might decide that the trees need to be further protected following the completion of works but for the time being they are protected by the planning process 

3 minutes ago, John Shutler said:

planning is a minefield and a lot of the time it doesn’t always make sense. they might decide that the trees need to be further protected following the completion of works but for the time being they are protected by the planning process 

What’s stopping him from cutting the trees down?

(serious question)

• Like 2

I know what you are going through. Currently have planning application in for access track for piece of woodland off a highway. Council wouldn't even validate it until AMS submitted. I was quoted about £900 for survey of up to 12 trees, mainly Ash approx 30 years old. Managed to get them to agree I could do my own survey to BS 5837 due to my experience and qualifications managing our other wood 52ha. Waiting for comments from the Tree Officer. There are no excavations it's a no dig solution.
As others have said all seems standard stuff apart from the manual digging and arborist on site But only going on brief details here.
As it's a condition attached to your permission you need to comply with it otherwise you can be in breach of it and could have to undo all work done and get prosecuted.
I wouldn't submit this report but get someone qualified to give a second opinion and hopefully a better outcome for you. Don't start work without submitting an AMS and bear in mind the council have to agree it first.
And finally if you think that's all bad enough then think yourself lucky that no one has thrown Great Crested Newts into the mix, has just landed in our lap and that really is a nightmare to sort out.
Feel free to PM me if you want but only speaking from my own experience.
Good luck.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, John Shutler said:

what does this say ?

maybe better off reading all the supplied info before getting all heavy handed with the red lines 🙄

0B85532F-DE15-4E2C-81B7-3C351132B8B2.jpeg

Yes, initially down to two foot deep!! [and they will be two foot wide too [at least] Nobody in their right mind would do that. Then they say that if you do use a digger that you have to dig it out by scraping away 10 to 20mm at a time as opposed to "digging" as they termed it. [by which i assume they mean using the bucket curl as opposed to the arm]

Guess nobody told them that is what you are supposed to do, use long shallow pulls and NOT curl the bucket, but 10mm at a time will not be too much fun..

john..

30 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

What’s stopping him from cutting the trees down?

(serious question)

Planning law. It would essentially be the same as building a block of flats instead of the extension permission has been granted for. The trees are currently protected in the same way as if tpo’d until the building is completed and signed off. 
There’s nothing to prevent the tree report stipulating tree removal, and if accepted then that work can obviously be undertaken. However, it has to be accepted by the planners, so there would need to be good reason for removal (not just ‘They’re my trees and I can do what I like!). 
Be careful though - further protection can be implemented if the trees are deemed TPO worthy and there are indications that their future may be under threat…

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, monkeybusiness said:

Be careful though - further protection can be implemented if the trees are deemed TPO worthy and there are indications that their future may be under threat…

Yes, and then all extension building would cease, permanently.. If it were me i would just cut the things down and worry about it later..

john..

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, monkeybusiness said:

The trees are currently protected in the same way as if tpo’d until the building is completed and signed off. 

This is the issue I have, what gives the council the right to do this? How are they allowed to suddenly declare that all trees are to be considered TPO'd until the building work is complete? Surely, the Council also have to follow the law, and it feels like an overzealous council officer is currently operating outside the legal framework they have been given.