Planning application & Arboricultural Method Statement

MaxD54

23 minutes ago, MaxD54 said:

You mean, things like supervised excavation don't need to be done by a professional/arboriculturist? Reports says: "

All excavations within and immediately adjacent to RPAs are to be undertaken under direct on-site arboricultural supervision"

Noted about talking to the arboriculturalist. Will give it a go. Thx for the suggestion.

It’s at your risk - if the method statement is provided to the LA then it is a condition of planning and you should follow it. If you excavate without on site supervision, don’t cause any damage and have detailed photographic evidence of the work undertaken then I think it unlikely you’d hear any more of it if no damage was caused (but this is not advice, just my thoughts…). 

15 minutes ago, Joe Newton said:

Like I said, I'm far from an expert on the matter.

The OP has stated there are no TPOs on the trees affected. So he can do anything with them without the involvement of the LA. He could top, fell or even several the roots lawfully if he so chose, but now they're planning permission in place he has to jump through these hoops? It doesn't make sense. 

(I agree with you, but those hoops now need jumping through until building sign-off!)

To the OP, might well be more cost effective to remove the nearest tree prior to submitting anything more to the council.

(OP - do not do this, the trees are now a material consideration of your approved planning permission! Removing any now without the backup and acceptance of a report will mean you are in contravention of planning…)

Could you perhaps post photos of the trees to give us an idea?

Edited by monkeybusiness
  • Like 1

I'm no more of an expert than Joe, but the laws around TPO and CA protection of trees are all part of planning law. Once you've got tree protection and root protection areas written in as a condition of the planning permission then the protection has a similar basis.

This is the reason some people knock all the trees down first on a site, before planning goes in. Saves the agro.

The supervised excavation is only with the RPA - presumably you now have a drawing showing the root protection areas so you can tell if there is any excavation in the RPA?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dan Maynard said:

@monkeybusiness it's not submitted yet so not yet a condition.

The report isn’t, and can theoretically be altered. The LA are obviously aware of the trees though - they have mentioned them which makes them a condition. I’m sure removing anything at this stage without submitting a report first would end in tears. 
As previously mentioned - fell anything contentious before submitting anything to planning………

Edited by monkeybusiness
  • Like 2

I have anonymised this report that they provided that summarised all the work to be done. You'll notice the trees at the back of the garden and see the various sites where they want protective footing/ground boarding/etc... Hopefully it will help get a feel for the scope of what they are asking for.

As for the reasons for removing some of the trees, it's basically public safety according to them as some of them are in a poor physical condition....but still 20m away from the site....

"For reasons of public safety, all tree works referred to herein must be carried out prior to any

site personnel commencing works or any building materials being delivered."

BS5837 - AMS (anonymised).pdf

21 minutes ago, MaxD54 said:

I have anonymised this report that they provided that summarised all the work to be done. You'll notice the trees at the back of the garden and see the various sites where they want protective footing/ground boarding/etc... Hopefully it will help get a feel for the scope of what they are asking for.

As for the reasons for removing some of the trees, it's basically public safety according to them as some of them are in a poor physical condition....but still 20m away from the site....

"For reasons of public safety, all tree works referred to herein must be carried out prior to any

site personnel commencing works or any building materials being delivered."

BS5837 - AMS (anonymised).pdf 600.68 kB · 10 downloads

Seems fair enough tbh - nothing too onerous there. Without the tree report it only gives a part of the picture but the protective measures shown appear reasonable IMO.
(Don’t forget that this document has to be acceptable to the planners - cutting corners to save you a couple of quid won’t wash). 

It says; "All excavations for the extension are to be undertaken manually under direct onsite arboricultural supervision"

Whoever wrote that is an idiot. No reasonable person would expect you to dig all the footings by hand.. Secondly, why all this "root protection" nonsense for trees the planners have told you to remove?? These will be the worlds most expensive footings..

They are YOUR trees, no TPO's, so do yourself a BIG favour and just remove them.. [Just like the planners told you to]

john..

Edited by john87
  • Like 1

I don’t understand the ground boarding outside the protective fence the reason for the fence is to protect the trees therefore no access to the root protection zone, no reason to ground board

arb supervision get someone in hard hat with ear defenders and yellow vest to appear in pictures

had this problem few years back jumped through each hoop forewards and backwards 

didn’t see planners at all and building regs were not interested in my opinion was a was of money that could have been used to better the site 

• Like 1