Quick and easy chip box

Steve Bullman

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve,

This is how I have done my side extensions.

They just slot over the sides and the G clamps hold them in place. I could put some ties onto the tie down hooks on the trailer but does not really need it. Around town I trundle about with it set up, longer runs leave the extensions in the trailer until i need them, set it up, chip and then strap the extensions over the chip when im finished.

The ply is just 1/2" waterproof - lighter/cheaper.

Hope this helps a bit.

Richard.

I remember when I went to pick up some hardcore for my yard with the first Cabstar I owned. Gross weight is supposed to be 3400kg. It was 2100kg when empty, by the time they loaded me up and I went back on the bridge it was weighing in at 4700kg! Don't know what would've happened if I'd got pulled! The thing is it still handled fine - I think that's why we're always overloading our trucks, because they're capable of carrying much more than their legal capacity.

When my old Cabstar weighed in at 4.7 tons on the weigh bridge I realised that I was loading it to that sort of weight quite often! I reckon a lot of you guys would be amazed how overloaded your trucks are sometimes. It's worth going on a weigh bridge when you're loaded up just out of curiosity.

Go to a quarry ask if you can use there weighbridge for a small fee and borrow some stone to load uniformly to GVW, once you are loaded uniformly to GVW and have checked each axle weight get a permanent marker pen and mark around the shock-absorber on each wheel at the point on each shock ware the outer shroud passes over the body of the shock, once you have done that tip the stone and head home then paint a nice bright ring around each shock were the permanent marker pen line is, this will then clearly show the maximum compression of the suspension at GVW on flat ground when loaded uniformly ;)

Go to a quarry ask if you can use there weighbridge for a small fee and borrow some stone to load uniformly to GVW, once you are loaded uniformly to GVW and have checked each axle weight get a permanent marker pen and mark around the shock-absorber on each wheel at the point on each shock ware the outer shroud passes over the body of the shock, once you have done that tip the stone and head home then paint a nice bright ring around each shock were the permanent marker pen line is, this will then clearly show the maximum compression of the suspension at GVW on flat ground when loaded uniformly ;)

Top Tip B101uk