Electric log splitters

neiln

I suspect I could pay for one two or three times over with what I'll save on gas this coming winter, but I can think of more fun things to spend the money on!  Although....tools are pretty good things to have....🤔🤔

I suspect I could pay for one two or three times over with what I'll save on gas this coming winter, but I can think of more fun things to spend the money on!  Although....tools are pretty good things to have....[emoji848][emoji848]

You could split all the wood you need for the year in a day. That in its self has to be worth a consideration?

You may think of far better things to spend money on, I prefer to think of far better things to spend my time on. You can always earn more money, you can’t buy more time.

• Like 2

In answer to the original question, I bought a 2nd hand Venom 22ton splitter which runs with a 6.5hp B&S engine.  Less noise than a lawn mower, nothing like a chainsaw.  It operates either on a horizontal plane or you can make it vertical for big rings to save you having to lift them up.  Road wheels good for "45mph" (??) but you'd need a lighting board. Only weighs 150kg so we just hoike into the back of the transit if its coming on site.  Its mostly used to split hardwood back at base though.

Power?  We have yet to find a crutch/knot or anything woody that the splitter cannot split or actually just destroy.  Its scarily impressive.

Hope that helps

Andrew

• Like 5

It'll say tractor mounted to pick up the google searches, no way it is. I tried one but can only split what you can with a decent axe, probably slighty slower.  Local hire shop round here will do a decent petrol one for £65/day, I can do a winters worth in one day you might find similar or someone who has got one for their own use who will hire it out?  

Get yourself a rock petrol splitter. Even the budget versions will be far better than that thing. I bought the venom 1m 20ton brand new and it paid for itself within 6 months on some odd splitting jobs for people who tried the axe and realised it was hard work!

• Like 1

In answer to the original question, I bought a 2nd hand Venom 22ton splitter which runs with a 6.5hp B&S engine.  Less noise than a lawn mower, nothing like a chainsaw.  It operates either on a horizontal plane or you can make it vertical for big rings to save you having to lift them up.  Road wheels good for "45mph" (??) but you'd need a lighting board. Only weighs 150kg so we just hoike into the back of the transit if its coming on site.  Its mostly used to split hardwood back at base though.
Power?  We have yet to find a crutch/knot or anything woody that the splitter cannot split or actually just destroy.  Its scarily impressive.
Hope that helps
Andrew

That’s what I have. Great machine and quite quiet as you say.

47 minutes ago, Andrew L said:

Hope that helps

Andrew

Interesting, I'd just assumed they were noisy, wrongly it seems.

There is also storage.  I'd not given any thought to where a big machine like that would live.  I would need to get it through a 2'6" wide doorway to get it into the back garden, and down a couple of steps.  That probably rules out any machine worth having.  B ******s.

Edited by neiln

Ok looks like I'm sticking with the axes.  Tbh I'm happy with that. It's good exercise and a lot of it is done while I'm minding the kids playing in the garden so neither the work nor the time involved are a big issue currently.  A small electric splitter that I could grab from the garage and plug in clearly isn't worth it and a petrol splitter would probably still be noisy for the kids playing and would have to live in the garden if I could find a way to get it there. 

That just leaves..... What about the electric kinetic splitters?  Like the portec. I'm guessing fine on the straight grain stuff but how do they get on with knotty uglies?

My older (in his late 70s) mate bought one of those table top electric splitters.

I took the piss but he showed me it working and it was really quite good, didn’t cost a lot and saved him a lot of effort.

If you like splitting by hand go ahead, but these things aren’t useless.

• Like 3