Planning Application for TPO removal

renegade105

Hi Guys,

I have a large plot with the house centrally located, NOT in a conversation area. However, I have a very large Cedar appx 8m away from the front door, large canopy spread and its 22m tall. Recently lost another branch which has broken, currently hanging on the lower branches. Also the branches are as low as 30cm above the ground, you can walk over some of them that's how long they are now. Its never had a cut/trim in appx 70 years when it was planted by the previous owner.

I am about to move in BUT I am worried of branches falling onto my family walking by.

The tree is 15m away from the front driveway/pavement so very much within the property, not on the boundary like another tree we have.

I applied for Uplifting ( as there are 2 broken branches and my Telephone cable is running under the branches, cant be relocated and a lot of pressure on the wire) and crown reduction to appx 15m (As they always allow my neighbour to do theirs to 15m).

In any case, neighbours all put in their objections to this (as usual, and funnily enough let my neighbour do this precisely to theirs). We were granted permission for a 5m Uplift only, and no crown reduction.

My issue here now is:

1) If anyone in my family gets hurt by falling branches as its basically near my front door, I will hold everyone  responsible.

2) We love the tree, but just want the freedom to take care of it by occasionally reducing some of the extra long/ weaker branche before they break and fall from height and cause damage to people or my Phone Line. Constant planning and objections are making we want to sell up and not bother.

3) My Phone line runs straight through the canopy, that's at around 5.5m heigh so my Uplifting wont even help this.

What are my chances of getting the strict TPO on the tree removed, allowing me to get my tree surgeon to take care of it properly....and planting a new tree on the boundary and letting them TPO that instead?

Your help, expertise and experience is greatly appreciated.

Hi, get a reputable local company (one with plenty of experience applying and getting tpo work) to assess the tree. The application needs to comply with bs3998, which I assume you have no knowledge of. The council may well reject any other applications you make as you don't have a scooby of what is permissible/recommended.
However you may well have to modify your expectations of how much it can be reduced.
Btw Cedars shed branches in storms, snow and just cos they feel like it.

What has been said above about sums it up. 

Customer of mine decided he would put an application to work on some Limes which they point blank refused because of the amount he wanted to take off, I then put application in to work on them which ment more was coming off which they passed because a worded it slightly different to the way he did. 

• Like 2

A full reduction on a cedar is a bit of a no go imo I would say most work we do in large cedars tends to be end weight reducing lateral branches to reduce risk of failure in storms and snowfall. My advice as said by others would be to get an arborist in to take a look and see what they can do. As the tree is TPO’d it obviously has a high amenity value in which case your local LA would be looking to retain the beauty of the tree and if you take the top out then you will wreck that beauty straight away. If your concern is only that of the branches snapping out and the BT cable then I would say and end weight reduction on the larger lateral branches and a 1m clearance away from the BT cable. The height is neither here nor there as the tree has grown the way it has and dealt with the elements for 70 years already. Trees are bloody strong and hold their own weight 4x over generally unless there are other issues at play.
Have you got a photo of the tree by any chance?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...