Trusted Trader. Is it worth the money?

Luke Jones

Hey, 

I'm sure this has been covered before, but I'm just starting out as a 1-2 man band and wondering whether its worth the money to spend on signing up to Trusted Trader? Has anyone had much success on it? 
Are you meaning trusted traders as Co ordinated by Trading standards? That is the case in scotland anyway.
I have had mixed results as I was membership in 2 areas. I gave up membership in 1 area , the other one provides regular work and is worth it.
I have found that if you Google trusted traders in your area you get a lot of ads for my builder, bark, check a trade etc.
Hope that's of help.
Tough times to be setting up your own gig btw imo.

11 minutes ago, jfc said:

Are you meaning trusted traders as Co ordinated by Trading standards? That is the case in scotland anyway.
I have had mixed results as I was membership in 2 areas. I gave up membership in 1 area , the other one provides regular work and is worth it.
I have found that if you Google trusted traders in your area you get a lot of ads for my builder, bark, check a trade etc.
Hope that's of help.
Tough times to be setting up your own gig btw imo.

What makes you say it's tough times setting up your own gig? I relocated last November and work is plentiful, most of it is contracting but there is definitely a market here to go it alone.

What makes you say it's tough times setting up your own gig? I relocated last November and work is plentiful, most of it is contracting but there is definitely a market here to go it alone.
I have spent last few years with 4-8wks work on the books all the time. It has dropped off massively since April. Got 2wks work booked in now and phones/enquiries gone quiet. Most of my work is domestic arb. However hedge season is coming up so all my regulars will be in touch but I think it's tough times ahead.
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, jfc said:
7 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

I have spent last few years with 4-8wks work on the books all the time. It has dropped off massively since April. Got 2wks work booked in now and phones/enquiries gone quiet. Most of my work is domestic arb. However hedge season is coming up so all my regulars will be in touch but I think it's tough times ahead.

Strange ain't it, with moving recently I've poked my nose in all over the place to see what's about, everyone I speak to is busy and can't find decent lads.

Is that arb?

One of my team came to me today and said he's been offered a job with sse. Starting salary 27k, plus hols, pension etc he has felling 380 and 760 tickets only. I cant pay anywhere near that. In fact I paid myself 30k last year (could of taken more but invested in plant and let the business build some reserves). I'm now wondering how much I would get with them, as a team leader?

3 hours ago, Luke Jones said:

Hey, 

I'm sure this has been covered before, but I'm just starting out as a 1-2 man band and wondering whether its worth the money to spend on signing up to Trusted Trader? Has anyone had much success on it? 

Depends on what it costs you. When I set up 22 years ago I found word of mouth worked well. A few simple things like return every call, turn up when you say you will to do a quote, turn up when you say you will to do the job, leave the place tidy, put your quote in writing with a copy of your insurance, will go a long way to beating back the cowboys, at least for customers who want, and will pay for a professional level of service. Best of luck👍

Word of mouth is really effective but takes a bit of time to build a reputation. I used to use bark and had some good jobs but there are a load more people responding now and cost has gone up double.

The trouble with the internet search type enquiries is the reason the person has gone to there is that they don't have any recommendations and are looking for a cheap price, so it can all be a bit of a race to the bottom.

26 minutes ago, Dan Maynard said:

I remember when I did my UA1 course the bloke said that utility arb is the most recession proof sector of the industry.

It can be one of the most fickle too - contracts regularly change, always won on price. Rates haven’t gone up for years and there are plenty of fly-by-night firms who talk a big game but fail to pay their lads etc. Tread carefully would be my advice (but a directly employed gig with one of the electricity firms should be a very safe job). 

• Like 2