TREES ON CROWN LAND

SarahD

4 hours ago, SarahD said:

It seems that I would have to establish beyond reasonable doubt that the land is subject to escheat and incur the financial burden this would involve.  That would be a hefty amount for me, but lucrative business for Salmon Burges.  At the end of this process, I maybe, just maybe, allowed to purchase the land that the government obtained without cost at the market price (and living in the south-east that's going to be higher than most other areas I would think).  In the meantime, I'm left (and I wish my solicitor had advised me about escheat land) with a little patch of wasteland with huge trees, which is great for the birds and the rats, but not so much for my house.  I think house builders should be barred from planting trees on any developments.  They might look nice at the beginning, but over time, if the council does not take ownership, they become a burden.  

You’ve got that arse about face.

Developers shouldn’t be allowed to build houses near trees.

If the trees were there when you bought the house then sympathy to your situation will be low.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, htb said:

For a grand a tree, I will come down from Aberdeenshire and do them.

Can you post some pictures to give us an idea, apologies if you have already posted pics

I haven't got a quote in person; I got the prices from mybuilder, checkatrade and the like.  

13 hours ago, Dan Maynard said:

Obviously I haven't seen them but if it's outside your garden so I can park next to it they would have to be flipping massive to be a grand a tree. 

I've just priced today to remove 3 trees for 900.

It's pricemyjob, checkatrade that I've got the prices from.  It's not that I don't understand that the work is skilled, time-consuming and can be dangerous.  However, out of interest I will post some photos later and I'd be interested to know what amount would be deemed reasonable.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mark Bolam said:

You’ve got that arse about face.

Developers shouldn’t be allowed to build houses near trees.

If the trees were there when you bought the house then sympathy to your situation will be low.

Well, speaking to a neighbour who bought their house when it was new in the 80s, I think the trees were planted by the house builders to make the area look attractive for house-buyers.  These saplings, however, have grown and I think it's likely that others, unmanaged in the little pockets of now escheat land, have self-seeded.  Trees are lovely, but they need to be managed if they are near properties.  And, the time of purchase, I had never heard of escheat land - I would have assumed it was owned by the council - and was not alerted to it by the solicitors.  We live, we learn.

Edited by SarahD
Addition

22 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

So they were there when you bought the house then.

Pictures and tree species would help a lot.

For instance 40-year old oaks won’t be a problem in your lifetime.

Usual developer crap like poplar and goat willow might be.

The tallest, is a fir I think, another some kind of cherry and not sure the other big'un, but it's further away from the house and leaning towards the road so less of a concern to me.  Then there are a a few smaller ones too, including an elderberry.

Edited by SarahD
spelling
  • Like 1