Smallish towing vehicle?

Woodworks

1 hour ago, Dan Maynard said:

I know someone who had 2 Disco 2s, rusting core plugs, auto box fail, when the suspension collapsed he scrapped it and bought a Shogun. So far so good, more reliable.

There's always someone able to offer a horror story about a particular item.

I'm on my second TD5 Disco 2 auto, been very reliable. Yes the chassis has had a bit of welding, and if I keep it for more than another three years I will probably have a galvanised chassis fitted - it has only done 105K miles, and the TD5 will do another 100K if looked after. The garage I use say stick to low mileage older vehicles with less electronics to go wrong, and I agree. The disco will tow 3.5T, it is excellent off road with all terrains fitted. It is just good value for money, unlike the overpriced Defenders now they have such a cult following.

• Like 4

Would a Mitsubishi Outlander not suit your purposes Beau. I think they are 2000kg towing so perhaps not quite enough for you. But Jon swears by his. And we have the ASX which is a shortened version which is proving to be reliable so far.

I have a 3.2l shogun. Superb for towing but I still prefer the older landrover Discovery's. As someone else said basically the same running gear underneath as a defender, onlu comfy seats, good heaters/windscreen wipers etc. And 1/4 the price of a defender. 

Shoguns are reliable highmilers. 

The only thing you got to get used to is their never ending drinking problem. 

In the end it's just 1 or 2 litres more than the competition, for that you trade a low entry price and in general very little repairs, which save on the other hand. It took me 3 years to finally fall in love with mine, wanted to sell it several times. 

But once I finally realized how poor the alternatives are, even when buying new, I knew it's a keeper. Fabulous towing and family car. 

60 second shogun vid, worth to watch:

https://youtu.be/lwec1YcqmSo

Not sure, thought most of them were 3.2 V6

The Grand Cherokee used to run the 2.7 CRD block which was pretty bulletproof but they moved on to a less reliable 3.0

Engines that live too long don't make the manufacturer much money. 

The 3.0 Merc OM642 Engine the WK1 GC and Commander had is considered highly reliable. It’s a far better engine than the 2.7.
  • Thanks 1

Is LPG still around I haven't heard as much about it recently?

You would think if is cheaper/available  with the current fuel price, it would make it  more popular now but seems ther are less than there used to be?

Some talk of it being phased out etc.

• Like 1