Smallish towing vehicle?

Woodworks

16 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

The other thing that caught my eye just now but hasn't been mentioned is the Shogan SWB. 3000kg towing but no idea about reliability 

Very reliable and very capable off road, but thirsty af and a bit wallowy round corners 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

The other thing that caught my eye just now but hasn't been mentioned is the Shogan SWB. 3000kg towing but no idea about reliability 

I longed for one for years and eventually got offered one through an acquaintance in the motor trade, 3.2 Warrior (the high spec one) auto, very clean, never on a farm.

Kept it about 5mths, woke up one morning and realised I'd been in denial pretty much since I bought it and actually hated it.

Had it sold by lunchtime the next day.

Never imagined something could use so much fuel in ordinary driving, plus it was hopeless on dry roads and even worse on wet ones.

Also gave me hassle with niggly things, bulbs fusing, low oil warning light flashing periodically, rear half shafts unseating themselves when towing and allow the diff to leak oil, which apparently wasn't cured properly until about 06.

Also known to give injector and turbo trouble, which I didn't keep it long enough to experience.

Edited by coppice cutter

3 minutes ago, coppice cutter said:

I longed for one for years and eventually got offered one through an acquaintance in the motor trade, 3.2 Warrior (the high spec one) auto, very clean, never on a farm.

Kept it about 5mths, woke up one morning and realised I'd been in denial pretty much since I bought it and actually hated it.

Had it sold by lunchtime the next day.

Never imagined something could use so much fuel in ordinary driving, plus it was hopeless on dry roads and even worse on wet ones.

Also gave me hassle with niggly things, bulbs fusing, low oil warning light flashing periodically, rear half shafts unseating themselves when towing and allow the diff to leak oil, which apparently wasn't cured properly until about 06.

Also known to give injector and turbo trouble, which I didn't keep it long enough to experience.

But , apart from all that ....😁

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Woodworks said:

I know someone who had 2 Disco 2s, rusting core plugs, auto box fail, when the suspension collapsed he scrapped it and bought a Shogun. So far so good, more reliable.

2 hours ago, Stubby said:

Didn't they have the 2.7 taxi engine ?

Not sure, thought most of them were 3.2 V6

The Grand Cherokee used to run the 2.7 CRD block which was pretty bulletproof but they moved on to a less reliable 3.0

Engines that live too long don't make the manufacturer much money. 

• Like 1